Discussion Forum

Protection From "etc"

When a creature has protection from lets say... blue.
Can a blue creature still block said creature, but not do any damage? Or can nothing with blue even try to target the creature with protection?

I was playing a friend with a green deck and two of my creatures have protection from green, they were weaker then his creatures so they just kept blocking him and not doing damage.

Also I guess this lines up, can a creature with protection from blue, block a blue creature and not take any damage?
Posted 23 October 2011 at 16:27

[QUOTE=kro]When a creature has protection from lets say... blue.
Can a blue creature still block said creature, but not do any damage? [/QUOTE]

No, the creature can't even block the attacking creature with protection. Here is the ruling:
702.15f Attacking creatures with protection can‘t be blocked by creatures that have the stated quality

[QUOTE=kro]Or can nothing with blue even try to target the creature with protection?[/QUOTE]

Correct, nothing can even try to target the creature with protection.
The ruling:
702.15b A permanent or player with protection can‘t be targeted by spells with the stated quality and can‘t be targeted by abilities from a source with the stated quality.

[QUOTE=kro]I was playing a friend with a green deck and two of my creatures have protection from green, they were weaker then his creatures so they just kept blocking him and not doing damage.

Also I guess this lines up, can a creature with protection from blue, block a blue creature and not take any damage?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately your friend was incorrect. The only way he could have blocked your creatures would have been if he had creatures of a different color.
Posted 23 October 2011 at 23:38

Okay, now can a creature with protection from green, block a green creature and not take any damage?
Posted 24 October 2011 at 04:52

[QUOTE=kro]Okay, now can a creature with protection from green, block a green creature and not take any damage?[/QUOTE]

Yes. A creature with protection from :manag: can block a :manag: creature and take no damage.
(trample above protected toughness will still go through)

A creature with protection from :manag: cannot be blocked by a :manag: creature.

An easy way to remember Protection from X is DEBT:

can't be
Damaged by X
Enchanted by X
Blocked by X
Targeted by X
Posted 24 October 2011 at 05:00