Discussion Forum

Olivia vs Gideon

Me and a friend were playing the other day and I came up with this interesting question, when Gideon becomes a 6/6 creature could I pay the cost for both of Olivia's abilities and take control of him? I know he wouldn't take any damage but is him taking the damage required for him to become a vampire, and if not would I have control of Gideon still when he turn back in to a planeswalker?
Posted 23 October 2011 at 18:09

Gideon does prevent the damage of course but he doesn't prevent the ability and I'm pretty sure the damage doesn't have to be dealt for Gideon to become a vampire, I might be mistaken of course.
Posted 24 October 2011 at 05:18

[QUOTE=Scotty1700]Gideon does prevent the damage of course but he doesn't prevent the ability and I'm pretty sure the damage doesn't have to be dealt for Gideon to become a vampire, I might be mistaken of course.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. You can steal Gideon Jura using Olivia Voldaren because the damage doesn't have to be dealt for the creature to become a vampire. The creature just has to be targetable
Posted 27 October 2011 at 07:14

Ok I understand that I could take him over, but what happens when he is no longer a creature? Do I gain control of the planeswalker form of Gideon?
Posted 28 October 2011 at 18:11

You gain control of him, and at the end of the turn he ceases to be a creature. That is pretty much it :) You now have a shiny new Gideon!
Posted 29 October 2011 at 18:14