Discussion Forum

Protection Blocking Q?

If a creature I control has protection from black and my opponent has a black creature with shadow, can my creature with protection from black still block my opponents creature? They same question applies to trample, flying, etc. Any info would be apprieciated. Thanks.
Posted 29 October 2009 at 20:32

[QUOTE=markd111]If a creature I control has protection from black and my opponent has a black creature with shadow, can my creature with protection from black still block my opponents creature? They same question applies to trample, flying, etc. Any info would be apprieciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Creatures with flying can only be blocked by creatures with flying or reach.
Creatures with shadow can only be blocked by creatures with shadow. (Or you could get an aether web and deal with both in one).

Creatures with trample must try to do as much damage as necessary to destroy blocking creatures before damaging players.
Posted 29 October 2009 at 21:12

Ok, so protection doesnt apply to generic creature abilities?
Posted 29 October 2009 at 22:12

[QUOTE=markd111]Ok, so protection doesnt apply to generic creature abilities?[/QUOTE]

Protection means it cannot be dealt damage, enchanted, blocked, equipped, or be target of spells or abilities by things that it has protection from.

So your white night cannot have unholy strength, but it also can stop your opponent's phage the untouchable. (However it is still subject to plague wind, as that uses the term all.)
Posted 29 October 2009 at 22:32