Discussion Forum

Prison + Mono White Control(ish) help

So I'm looking for help w/ two decks at the moment. One is a mono white imprint deck which is mostly just for fun but I'd like to make any final changes to it before I purchase it because the cards are kind of expensive. (for me that is) Sideboard help with that deck to make it more multi-player friendly would be very nice though since as it stands now, since I'm usually such a threat w/ it, everyone will attack me and me only until I'm dead and I can't stand up to 2+ decks most of the time.
The other deck is a mono blue prison mill deck that I made recently and I have absolutely zero experience with prison, never played one or against one. So I might have totally missed the mark on this one.

White Imprint Control - http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=180449

Blue PrisonMill - http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=252708
Posted 28 October 2011 at 05:01

No offense but it's pretty rediculous to buy a scepter chant deck for casual play. It's boring to play and people hate playing against it. If you want to take it to tournaments then it's fine, for casual, not a good idea.
It's not like it's all powerful either, if this is your regular deck people will just start packing hate cards like pithing needle and instand speed artifact removal. That and mono white will always be aweful in multiplayer, there is no secret way around that. Multiplayer is a game of card advantage and that's the one thing white just can't deliver.

The second deck is a strange build. Counterbalance is a card that is only good in the legacy tournament meta because of the formats low mana curve. It doesn't work in casual play or any other tournament format. It also requires you to play sensei's divining top to make it any good. Without it it's useless.

The rest of the deck is not strong enough for legacy tournament play, it's too slow.

Those 4 force of wills are a great investment though, they will stay useful and keep their value for as long as you play magic. It's one of those cards you really need if ever you want to start playing tournaments.
Posted 28 October 2011 at 07:52

Alright well if I was to make to the scepter chant deck into a deck for tournament play, any advice you'd be able to give me that wouldn't move it away from the imprinting idea too much or will most of the imprint cards just not cut it for legacy? If not what direction should I take it in to make it tournament viable? I'm assuming dropping mana curve would probably be a really good idea but I'm not sure what else I should do if I'm gonna have to move away from imprint, which I'd rather not do if I don't have to.

Other deck lots work needed - noted. I'll add the top in and try to drop the mana curve.
Posted 28 October 2011 at 20:15

well it's a 2 card combo, low on the curve and both combo pieces are good value on their own. isochron is great with a lot of cards and chant breaks combo and timewalks aggro.
so you can play it in a lot of decks. UW Stoneblade with Snapcaster mage, stoneforge mystic, counterspell/swords to plowshares/spell snare/brainstorm all make good targets for scepter and the deck can use a softlock.

The combo is also great when packing 3 enlightened tutors and a toolbox like for instance The Mighty Quinn.

Maindeck

Creature [4]
2 Painter's Servant
2 Eternal Dragon
Instant [13]
4 Orim's Chant
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Enlightened Tutor
2 Abeyance
Sorcery [4]
3 Wrath of God
1 Decree of Justice
Enchantment [9]
1 Story Circle
1 Humility
1 Sacred Mesa
3 Oblivion Ring
2 Runed Halo
1 Moat
Artifact [8]
4 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Grindstone
2 Isochron Scepter
Land [22]
18 Snow-Covered Plains
4 Scrying Sheets

A lot of cards I don't like in this example but you get the picture. It's a toolbox that can combo out.
Posted 29 October 2011 at 15:07

So this is the new deck http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=253197 , how does it seem to you? I'm thinking I probably need to change my sword choice.
Posted 03 November 2011 at 00:08

I replied to the deck in the deck response section (Setherial)
Posted 03 November 2011 at 08:02