Discussion Forum

Won FNM Modern

Hey guys

This homebrew zoo list won me the FNM Modern tournament last friday (I went 4-0-0). Just thought I'd share my list as it served me well.

Main

4 Wild Nacatl
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Qasali Pridemage
4 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Ranger of Eos
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Lotus Cobra

2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Gideon Jura

2 Lightning Helix
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Path to Exile

1 Sword of Feast and Famine

1 Mountain
1 Forest
1 Plains
4 Arid Mesa
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Marsh Flats
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Guarden
2 Sacred Foundry
1 Sejiri Steppe

Sideboard

3 Ancient Grudge
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Grim Lavamancer
3 Nature's Claim
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Ajani Vengeant
2 Lightning Helix
1 Path to Exile

I played against

round 1: UR Snapcaster Control 2-0
round 2: Merfolk 2-0
round 3: Mono White 1-0-1
round 4: Red Affinity 2-0
Posted 07 November 2011 at 10:01

This is a pretty solid list man. I'm actually quite surprised to see Gideon though.
Posted 08 November 2011 at 06:10

Gideon is a house. Lots of pro-players before and after the bannings are running him as a 1-off in their zoo decks. In my case however I ended up not seeing him in single match and siding him out most of the time. Still he fits the "big Zoo" deck concept. The idea is to explode on the back of Hierarch and Cobra but still be able to run just fine without them. Also not running Kird Ape and Goblin Guide like the fast decks try to do but instead playing slower but more powerful cards really pays off after a few turns.

Modern is a strange format though, I often burned myself down to 10 life on fetch and shock lands without even taking a hit. I had forgotten how good lightning helix was though. If I were to play again I would probably play 4 mainboard. I also ended up siding in Ajani every game, he was my 5th lightning helix and it payed off.
Elspeth won me a few games as well. Game one for instance I was loosing from the Snapcaster control player who had 2 unflipped delver of secrets, a grim lavamancer and snapcaster mage against my empty board and empty hand. I was at 15 life, he was at 3, I had had a slow start and ran into many counters and burn on my creatures.
I draw Elspeth but don't play her and pass the turn. His Delvers don't flip and he just attacks. Next turn I draw Knight of the Reliquary, play it, it resolves and doesn't get removed. I pass the turn. His delvers still don't flip (lucky me I guess, but that's the game, also these cards like Delvers and Snapcasters are conciderably less powerfull in Modern and Standard as they are in Legacy).
Next turn I play Elspeth give my knight flying and win. That was game one, game two I have a typical zoo start with Wild Nacatl and double goyf and overwhelm him pretty fast.

Best card of the deck, just like in legacy, Grim Lavamancer. He just wins games every time. The only time I drew into my Ranger of Eos I just fetched two lavamancers and won.
Posted 08 November 2011 at 08:21