Discussion Forum

Regeneration?

If you regenerate a creature that would have died it removes all damage from that creature and taps it correct. Well if say a 7/7 is killed by a 8/8 wither and u regenerate the 7/7 since it was killed would that remove the 8 negative counters since that damage killed the creature??
Posted 08 November 2011 at 02:46

I'm 99% sure that you are correct. the rules are:

Wither:
502.80a Damage dealt to a creature by a source with wither doesn’t stay on that creature (see rule 212.3g). Rather, it causes that many -1/-1 counters to be put on that creature.

Regenerate:
614.8. Regeneration is a destruction-replacement effect. The word “instead” doesn’t appear on the card but is implicit in the definition of regeneration. “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.”

So this would sugest that the -1/-1 counters count as damage and therefore can be removed.:)
Posted 08 November 2011 at 03:40

thanks man i thought so but on the other hand if u block said 7/7 with a 4/4 with wither or infect then it would then only be a 3/3 regenerate since it isnt destroyed then u couldnt regen to remove the counters correct

p.s. meh and some freinds were trying to decied this luckly i was aparrently correct
Posted 08 November 2011 at 03:57

No it's not correct. The -1/-1 counters are counters, not damage (it's a replacement effect). A creature that regenerates stays on the battlefield and the counters are never removed, the creature still dies because it has -1 toughness.
Posted 08 November 2011 at 08:34

1. moogoesthecow,
i would definitely trust Seth to know the rules over me.

2. Seth,
after re-reading the rules i agree that i was wrong about Wither. i cant find the exact rules for infect but this is the reminder text "This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and players in the form of poison counters." this leads me to believe that there are two options for infect, my previous statement was corect in regards to infect but not Wither or WotC has written this reminder text badly.:)
Posted 08 November 2011 at 09:05

Thanks guys really needed to get that straight great thats gonna help my black deck out in this case thanks every one for ur help
Posted 08 November 2011 at 19:11

so I just looked up wither and infect...they are both technically damage. therefore that damage would be removed from the creature, it would be tapped and removed from combat if you activated regenerate before hand.

wither is the same as infect minus the player part, a creature with infect/wither deals damage to other creatures in -1 counters, therefore is damage not an effect. Skinrender would be a good example for a counter to regenerate. skinrenders effect applies -1 counters, but it is technically not damage. Infect/wither is damage and can be removed by regenerate.
Posted 11 November 2011 at 08:17