Discussion Forum

Akroma's Vengeance and Eldrazi Monument

Does Akroma's Vengeance destroy creatures with Eldrazi Monument on the field?

cheers

Seth
Posted 09 November 2011 at 08:23

I'm pretty sure creatures would be safe. When Akroma's Vengeance resolves, it simultaneously destroys all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments. At the time Eldrazi Monument would be destroyed, the creatures would be indestructible, and not until after resolution would they cease to be.
Posted 09 November 2011 at 23:04

that's it isn't it, do they happen all at once or in the order as written on the card in which case the creatures would die. I think because the effects are seperated by comma's they happen simultaniously. If it had been points they would happen seperatly but I need someone to verify this.
Posted 10 November 2011 at 08:00

[QUOTE=Seth]that's it isn't it, do they happen all at once or in the order as written on the card in which case the creatures would die. I think because the effects are separated by comma's they happen simultaneously. If it had been points they would happen separately but I need someone to verify this.[/QUOTE]

I tried to answer this last night, but my internet crapped out on me right before I hit reply :(
Trying again:

The creatures will live. My reasoning:

Creatures you control are indestructible as long as Eldrazi Monument is on the field.

All of the effects on Akroma's Vengeance will happen simultaneously because they are all on the same card, and the abilities are not separated by "Then" or a similar timing word. I think periods and commas don't effect the timing unless "then" is specifically used, see Turn to Slag and Brainstorm.

This means that Akroma's Vengeance will attempt to destroy creatures at the exact same time it is attempting to destroy Eldrazi Monument.

Because the monument is on the field at the same time the creatures are being destroyed, the creatures are indestructible. The creatures can't be destroyed, therefore they live.

I can't site any specific rule, but that's my understanding of how it will work, based on my knowledge.
Posted 10 November 2011 at 08:27

This is pretty much how I ruled it in our EDH game.
Posted 10 November 2011 at 09:28

it was definitely the correct ruling.
Posted 11 November 2011 at 00:26

The key word here is 'and'. Since it says 'and' instead of multiples 'then's, the effect happens simultaneously, not in text order.
Posted 15 November 2011 at 04:53

thanks man, much appreciated!
Posted 16 November 2011 at 10:28

No problem
Posted 16 November 2011 at 12:59