Discussion Forum

My first attempt at EDH any suggestions?

I am fairly new to Magic in general but after seeing a few few friends play EDH and then pulling Olivia Voldaren from a pack I decided to try my hand at creating a EDH deck. Anyone with advice suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated! my deck is- http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=256173
Posted 10 November 2011 at 20:28

One question I'd like to ask is what is your budget...ish

The way EDH works, two things are truly powerful: 1) Card drawing and 2) Re-usability and/or multiple uses of cards.

Lucky for you, black has some great contributors to both, and red has some nice stuff too (with flashback, etc.) but not as much. I'm assuming red is going to be the splash anyway, so it's no problem that red has less options =]

Black EDH builds are extremely lucky to have access to arguably the best card drawer for the format (one of the best for any format =P)...and that is Necropotence. In EDH, with 40 freakin life, you can draw cards to your heart's content. But again, it's a bit expensive, so that's why I ask.

All in all your deck looks pretty nice, especially for your first one. Just remember, card drawing, repeat/multiple uses, and protect your general! :D
Posted 11 November 2011 at 19:13

Thank you very much for the reply and the card suggestion. As far as a budget is concerned, I wouldn't want to pay to much over $20-$25 for a card as it's just a deck to play casually with the group in my area. I will probably look into picking up a Necropotence to add in the near future. and will keep my deck updated if I change things up :)
Posted 11 November 2011 at 19:56

Huh, thats odd where I'm from Necropotence only goes for around $5. But I already own a playset so I was only briefly glancing at the one on display. :/
Posted 01 December 2011 at 03:46