Discussion Forum

Metallic Mastery vs. Elixir of Immortality

i took my friends elixir and used it...just to make sure we played this correctly when i used it, it gets shuffled then into my deck and not his correct?
Posted 13 November 2011 at 15:13

if you didn't know
metallic mastery: gain control of target artifact till end of turn
elixir of immortality: gain 5 life shuffle elixir into your deck
Posted 13 November 2011 at 15:52

[QUOTE=Goblin_Bombardment]i took my friends elixir and used it...just to make sure we played this correctly when i used it, it gets shuffled then into my deck and not his correct?[/QUOTE]

nonononononononono! NO, that is NOT how that works! Shuffling a card your opponent owns into your deck is tantamount to outright stealing that card.

Read Elixir of Immortality again.
[QUOTE]Shuffle Elixir of Immortality and your graveyard into their owner's library.[/QUOTE]

You shuffle your graveyard into your library, and he shuffles his Elixir of Immortality into his library.

Controlling a card (Metallic Mastery):
it is on your side of the battlefield. You lose control of it when it leaves the field for ANY reason, even for a Momentary Blink. It is always placed into it's original owner's graveyard and and returned to it's original owner's hand and shuffled into it's original owner's library. At the end of the game, it is returned to the person who brought the card to the game.
Temporary

Owning a card (Tempest Efreet):
You bought, purchased, payed, or traded for that card. You store it in your deck box and take it home with you. It is legally your property.
Permanent

[QUOTE]if you didn't know
Metallic Mastery: gain control of target artifact till end of turn
Elixir of Immortality: gain 5 life shuffle elixir into your deck [/QUOTE]
Use card buttons on the upper right of the message form when replying to have in-line card links. Place the proper, full name of a card inside [ CARD ][ /CARD ] tags (no spaces) and you too can have hover images.
Posted 13 November 2011 at 20:35

didn't steal it gave it back to him a week later when we remembered. we figured that i controlled the card it then went to my library
Posted 13 November 2011 at 20:41

[QUOTE=Goblin_Bombardment]Didn't [intentionally] steal it. Gave it back to him a week later when we remembered.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem, and the reason why cards are so specific when you read them.

[QUOTE=Goblin_Bombardment]We figured that [because] I controlled the card, it then went to my library.[/QUOTE]

Read the cards carefully. It says "owner's," not "controller's" for a reason. The words control and own are used very specifically to prevent this situations.

Examples:
Enslave
Lantern Spirit
Chandra's Outrage
Vapor Snare
Dead/Gone

I know I'm being really annoying, but this is one of those things MTG has to be VERY specific about in order to avoid stuff like criminal prosecution.
Posted 13 November 2011 at 20:57

we both missed that and read it wrong both of us looked at it too but all ended well
Posted 13 November 2011 at 20:59

also i found rule 400.8 that helped explain it. while i've been waitin for an answer i looked for it and found that
Posted 13 November 2011 at 21:00