Discussion Forum

Would like an opinion:)

Hi, I just made my first deck and I would really appreciate an opinion on it. Also I would like making it 'modern', but my replacement for Skyshroud Poacher would be Elvish Harbinger which doesn't work as well with the deck. Suggestions? I would also have to kick out Vitalize, which is a pity, but I guess not a really big deal.

Deck
Posted 14 November 2011 at 22:12

This is my elf deck it's sort of based around a similar idear.

You don't have a win condition. i suggest ether going along the same lines as my deck or something like this:

+4 priests of titania
+4 Llanowar elves
+2 Rings of Brighthearth
-4 harrow
-4 explore
-2 quest for renewal

so this is a much better ramp system but now you need something to ramp to:

+2 immaculate magistrate (has awesome effects with jogara warcaller)
+3 genesis wave
+5 cmc 10+s
-4 skyshroud poacher
-4 copperhorn scout
-2 quest for renewal
Posted 14 November 2011 at 23:48

Thanx for the advice! I actually considered all the cards you mentioned:) The reason I went for Harrow, Cultivate and Explore (which I should exchange for Khalni Heart Expedition btw) has two reasons: I think it's a bit quicker to gain mana in the first few turns than working with elves and because it pulls the forests out of my library which means I will draw more elves after the first few turns. In general I think this makes a deck more quick. Nonetheless: working with elves means I will 1. get more mana from Elvish Archdruid (and possibly Priest of Titania) and 2. I will have more elves on the field that are being pumped by Joraga Warcaller, Elvish Archdruid, Imperious Perfect and Immaculate Magistrate. So I do see your point. I guess I have to see what actually works better for me.

As for the other suggestions. I guess I could take out 2 Quest For Renewals. They are quite important to the effect I was going for but the deck should not be dependent on it. Besides they could be drawn with the Genesis Wave. I think Genesis Wave is actually a very good substitute to Skyshroud Poacher, mainly because I would like my deck to become 'modern' and the highest manacost I pay for a permanent is four. So I could play the card relatively early and without having to worry about waisting permanents. I will have to put 2 Quests For Renewals in my sideboard for when I multiplay:)

Throwing out (all) Copperhorn Scouts is not an option. The effect can only be used once, so taking out two and hoping you get a Copperhorn Scout early in the game might work. But if I would have to rely on Genesis Wave instead of Skyshroad Poacher or Elvish Harbinger, that's a risk. If I would take them all out with 2 Quest For Renewals, that leaves just too little untapping.
I don't know if replacing them with Rings of Brightearth works, because most of my cards do have mana abillities. Either Copperhorn Scout or Quest for Renewal has much more effect here.

I totally agree with putting in more Immaculate Magistrates, because...well...they do work well with Joranga Warcaller. What exactly do you mean with cmc 10+s?
Posted 15 November 2011 at 21:29

elves, in my opinion are awesome, full stop. Going with the elves is a great move, as is Genesis wave.

the coperhorn scouts were mainly there cause if you tap a creature for mana you cant untap it with copperhorn scout, also i couldn't think of anything else to take out. over all i agree with leaving 2.:)

[QUOTE]What exactly do you mean with cmc 10+s?[/QUOTE]

cmc stands for converted mana cost, when i say cmc 10+ i mean things like emrakul, ulamog, kozilec, darksteal colossus, prognetus.

make whatever changes you recon should be made and then we'll have another look.
Posted 16 November 2011 at 05:27