Discussion Forum

working on a deck for the ptq's

ok so i know that the ptq's are a long way away but i want to start brewing for it now. this deck uses my beloved naya beats and it is just a shell to begin working on. all coments will be read and all advice is welcome. my friend is also building a deck for the ptq's and i will post a thread for his deck when i know what it is.

// Lands
3 Mountain
3 Plains
8 Forest
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Rootbound Crag

// Creatures
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Birds of Paradise
4 Cliffrunner Behemoth
2 Spellbreaker Behemoth
4 Woolly Thoctar
4 Figure of Destiny

// Spells
2 Lightning Bolt
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Cradle of Vitality
3 Loxodon Warhammer
4 Mayael's Aria

// Sideboard
2 Spellbreaker Behemoth
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Vexing Shusher

as of now i still have 4 slots open. and note i will not buy goyf or shock lands
Posted 21 November 2011 at 21:27

A few suggestions:

Your deck lacks speed, which in this format, you need to win. I would sub out the figure of destinies for Wild nacatl and bring your birds of paradise count up to 4.

Also, if you are not going to be getting shocklands, you should be running some sort of fetch in a naya deck, since getting the proper lands is necessary. 3-4 Knight of the Reliquary is a great choice, and even better running a handful of the zendikar fetch (arid mesa is awesome) would help you out a lot.

Also, the scars of mirrodin lands are better than the dual lands from m10.

Lightning Helix is the best burn spell you can get, it just is too amazing not to use

I think that running a set of swords in the place of the loxodon warhammer would give you more mileage, but from your last comment I would wager that you don't want to shell out that kind of cash, so I would reccomend replacing them with Angelic Destiny. My reasoning is: for 1 more mana, you can put the enemy on a 2 turn clock very easily, while making your huge beater even bigger, and giving them two types of combat evasion to boot... and it goes back to your hand on death.

Lastly, I would toss the oblivion rings into the sideboard and run a playset of Path to Exile mainboard. Oblivion rings are amazing against planeswalkers indeed (and Emrakul), but in Modern Planeswalkers are rare, and creatures are common. Path is just better in any case you would be exiling a creature, so maining these is huge.

Hope this helps :):manaw::manag::manar:
Posted 21 November 2011 at 22:44

im still a little vulnerable to combo without the o-rings but i do agree that i need more speed. and ive been thinking about what is a good mass removal esp for fliers

update on deck:

// Lands
3 Mountain
3 Plains
6 Forest
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Rootbound Crag
3 Jungle Shrine

// Creatures
2 Qasali Pridemage
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Spellbreaker Behemoth
4 Woolly Thoctar
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Knight of the Reliquary

// Spells
2 Lightning Bolt
3 Oblivion Ring
2 Mayael's Aria

//Artifacts
1 Relic of Progenitus
Posted 21 November 2011 at 22:53

- O-rings are pretty good allround removal but they do get destroyed by Qasali Pridemage and a lot of decks run Pridemages because he's just so allround amazing. (Noble Hierarch + Qasali Pridemage is often beatstick enough to win games)

- Student of Warfare is better early game then Figure of Destiny. If you would run both I would run 1 Figure of Destiny and 3-4 Student of Warfare. That said, Grim lavamancer is better then both and should be your first pick when it come to 1 drops. Also don't forget about Ranger of Eos, running 1 really pays of.
I would always run 2 Grim Lavamancer main and 1 in side when running Naya. Grim lavamancer is one of the best creatures ever printed.

- Don't run creatures like Cliffrunner Behemoth, his thoughness brings him within burn range (Lightning Bolt/Helix). A 4 mana creature should be winning you the game or it's not worth running. Bloodbraid Elf and Ranger of Eos are worthy 4 drops because they do something unfair that provides conciderable advantage.

- Pyroclasm isn't worth running

- Try to fit in 2x Elspeth if you want an agressive list.

- Without fetchlands Knight of the Reliquary isn't a very good creature and without shocklands Wild Nacatl is pretty bad.

If you don't have shocklands and fetchlands you should not try to do the same thing decks do that do have them because you'll be at a conciderable disadvantage.
Run a 2 color list instead. Abuse the fact that they take a lot of damage from their shocklands and fetchlands by packing a lot of burn spells and grim lavamancers. Abuse their mana fragile base by disrupting it with creatures like Magus if the Moon (or Blood Moon), Leonin Arbiter, Aven Mindcensor...
It's not like playing shocklands is all good, it's amazing how much damage zoo players deal to themselves in the first few turns of the game.

Also a good card against Goyf and Knights if you don't play them is Relic of Progenitus. I side it in against Knight decks when playing legacy and it's very effective.

PS: not saying you need to do all these things I wrote above, they are just ideas. Use what you need, experiment...
Posted 22 November 2011 at 09:44

the only reason i like cliff runner is because of his synergy with cradle of vitality(which i am no longer running) so hes got to go.

i do like the relics idea a lot, might run 2 side board 1 main.
and i totaly agree with the nacatal because im not running a lot of basic lands and so they wont get the great pumping that they will in normal zoo.

im iffy on the lavamancers though, i might test them, the best part about long term deck making is that you have time so i will play around with a lot of things.
Posted 22 November 2011 at 15:54

I would also consider sideboarding Burning-Tree Shaman. In this format, there are AA's aplenty.
Posted 15 December 2011 at 14:29