Discussion Forum

how indestructible is indestructible really?

I played a Devout Lightcaster on my freinds dark depths creature Marit lage, with is indestructible. can i exile an creature like Marit lage? He thinks no...:D or with and oblivion ring?

that lead to another question. When Devout Lightcaster has protection from black, can reiver demon played from the hand, destroy my Devout Lightcaster ?

and finally is a token creature a permanent?

thanks....
/smuds
Posted 24 November 2011 at 22:52

A indestructable permanent can be exiled. Yes a token is a permanent. As for protection yes a world kill like Reaver Demon or Wrath of God effect still hits but Volchanic Fallout style cards don't work (from pro red).
Posted 24 November 2011 at 23:05

[QUOTE=smuds]I played a Devout Lightcaster on my friend's Dark Depths creature Marit lage, with is indestructible. Can I exile a creature like Marit lage? He thinks no...:D or with and oblivion ring?

That leads to another question. When Devout Lightcaster has protection from black, can reiver demon played from the hand, destroy my Devout Lightcaster?

And finally is a token creature a permanent?

thanks....
/smuds[/QUOTE]

Short Answer:
Yes you can exile indestructible, yes Devout Lightcaster will die to Reiver Demon's effect, and yes a token is a permanent, but it is not a card.

Long answer:
Indestructibility protects a creature against "normal," "standard," "direct," "straight-forward" ways of getting rid of them. They are still vulnerable to abnormal tactics, such as Pacifism, Unsummon, -1/-1 counters, Mind Control, Oblivion Ring, etc.

Indestructible creatures are like cockroaches: You can't kill or squash them all, and you can't nuke them. You can only move them somewhere else.

Protection from X means it can't have DEBT from X:

can't be Damaged by X
can't be Enchanted by X
can't be Blocked by X
can't be Target by X

Let's take a look at Reiver Demon's effects:
There is no Damage involved, just destroying.
There is no Enchanting involved.
There is no Blocking involved.
There is no Targeting involved because the word "target" is not specificy used.

Protection from black will not help you against Reiver Demon.

Taken from the MTG comprehensive rules:
[QUOTE="The rules"]
110. Permanents
110.1. A permanent is a card or token on the battlefield. A permanent remains on the battlefield
indefinitely. A card or token becomes a permanent as it enters the battlefield and it stops being a
permanent as it’s moved to another zone by an effect or rule.[/QUOTE]
Posted 27 November 2011 at 04:09