Discussion Forum

May I get some advice, please?

I'm not very good at making decks, compared to decks others' have, and I just want an opinion and some pointers for one deck that i've been working on for a couple months.
It is a creature-themed Leonin/Nacatl deck. Here's a link to the deck page: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=265362

Like I mention in the deck description, I don't have access to most of the really cool cat warrior cards; but as I keep getting shoved in my face it's possible to make a deck that can kick ass with just commons and uncommons. Which is true, but I'm trying for a pretty specific theme here.

Any help here would be appreciated. :confused:
Posted 28 November 2011 at 10:56

I enjoy cat decks and have one I use myself in tournaments thats pretty effective.

Now to help you with future deck building I'm gonna tell you the golden rule to building.

"If the card is important enough to be in your deck, it's important enough to have multiple of it"

Meaning add multiple copies of the cards you want in your deck. It will make that card appear more often.
(think this way with 1 copy you have a 1/60 chance of drawing the card, but with 4 copies you have a 1/15 chance. See the extreme difference?)

So with that said you need to figure out what cards are the MOST important to your theme, and get rid of the rest so that your able to put in multiples of those cards.

Good luck to you sir/maam. I wish you well in your endeavors.
Posted 01 December 2011 at 04:49

thank you for the tip. as vague as it is, it does help a bit. looking through it i can remove certain cards to make room for others, like the Kembas and White Sun.
a problem i have is i was wanting it to be green/white. i know i could make due without most of the green cards and go all white, but the Ambushers have helped in multiple matches, and having the forests in just for those four cards wouldn't make it worth it.
my only other problem is i have difficulty getting multiple cards. usually people will either not have them or aren't willing to part with them simply because i don't have anything "worth while." and i can't buy cards like most people would because i don't have much money (which is typically answered by "then you shouldn't be into card games").
Posted 01 December 2011 at 06:53

That certainly is a problem. All I can say is build your dream deck and try to get those cards when you can. Until then make due without them with replacements.

I'll take a look at your deck later tonight and build it how I would do it. Though most of my decks end up being around 50-70 dollars to build from scratch, but it will be solid.

Sorry for the vagueness, got off an 11 hour shift when I wrote it.
Posted 01 December 2011 at 16:57

another issue that applies to your deck: the equipment/auras-to-creature ratio.

you have 13 equipments and 3 auras for 18 creatures.

that's 16 cards that will be totally dead if you don't have any creatures in play.

there's no universally accepted ideal for the ratio, but i would try to not go over 1/2.
Posted 01 December 2011 at 19:03

"Sorry for the vagueness, got off an 11 hour shift when I wrote it."
^^; it's ok. hope you were able to get a decent night's/day's sleep.
i've already got about half the creatures and i priced the creatures i would like to get, and it came out around 10$ so it's not too bad. one of the harder ones to find would be Mirri (not the cursed one).

"there's no universally accepted ideal for the ratio, but i would try to not go over 1/2."
i wouldn't have thought of that. =/ the play cost for the equipments weren't too expensive, so i never had a big problem with them, but it's definitely something to think about. thanks for the tip. =)
Posted 01 December 2011 at 21:04

So here's my take on your deck.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=266758

-Multiples of Raksha (best cat ever), and Jedit to make them appear more often.

-Equipment in the deck are some of the best for stompy type decks.
(Konda's Banner should always be equiped to Raksha when able)

-Leonin Shikari allow you to play equip abilities as instants (extremely helpful).

-Cultivate, though more expensive to cast than Rampant growth, is far better.

-Lastly the Ghostly Prisons are just my personal touch as I love that card far more than I should (love having 2-3 out on the field and forcing people to pay 4 - 6 mana per creature they want to attack me with, decreases how much they can do with their turn immensely) - However! it is not crucial and can be replaced with whatever though I wouldn't recommend replacing with auras as equipment in cat decks are much better.

That should be enough explanation. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Enjoy! :)
Posted 02 December 2011 at 02:46

dude... thank you so much! -faints- ^^;;
it'll take me a bit to get the big guys, but i can get the little cats easy enough. :D
unfortuantely i don't have any of those equipments. the Sledge looks like Loxodon Warhammer, so i could prolly just sub that out until i get the Sledges. =/
i agree with you on the Ghostly Prison. X3 it's funny as hell making people use up their mana just to attack. X3

again, thank you so much for your help! =D and, though probably unlikely, if you ever need help with something, message me. =)
Posted 02 December 2011 at 04:45

Haha no prob :)

Hope this makes the game more fun for you and I wish you well in your endeavors ^.^
Posted 03 December 2011 at 00:04