Discussion Forum

Entrance abilities: Grave Titan, Grimgrin, Eldrazis...

Okay so I've gotten mixed answers from local players in regards to this. I've been told that some cards, such as Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, abilities don't activate unless their mana cost is paid normally. So using Hypergenisis or Quicksilver Amulet wouldn't proc them. Would this be true of all cards with a 'enter the battlefield' ability such as Grimgrin's initial tapped state or Grave Titan's tokens?
Posted 06 December 2011 at 03:09

If you would read the card you would see that Emrakul doesn't have an enter the Battlefield (he isn't a 187 creature as it is usually reffered to) ability.

The card clearly states:

'When you cast Emrakul, take an extra turn after this one.'

Casting triggers Emrakuls ability. When you cheat him into play one way or another it isn't the same as casting him.

Grave Titan and other 187 creatures have a come in play ability that triggers when they enter the field. It doesn't matter how they enter the field as long as they do the ability triggers.
Posted 06 December 2011 at 13:03

187 is code for murder...so I'm not sure what that would have to do with "enter the battlefield" abilities...in what sense is it used?
Posted 06 December 2011 at 16:41

[QUOTE=Seras]187 is code for murder...so I'm not sure what that would have to do with "enter the battlefield" abilities...in what sense is it used?[/QUOTE]

that's right. Nekrataal is the first creature that was reffered to as 187 because it killed when it entered play. hence the term. Now it's used for all come in play effect and not just killing a critter. It's a pretty popular term and has been around for quite some time.
Posted 06 December 2011 at 17:53

the popularity of such terms is pretty subjective and bound to one's group/locale.

i've never heard that term in relation to magic before, even on any of the big podcasts.

/shrugs
Posted 06 December 2011 at 17:56

well it's not related to my group as we don't speak english and the term 187 doesn't mean anything over here. I picked it up in articles on the web long time ago as it is a global thing, google it if you like.
Posted 06 December 2011 at 18:27

[QUOTE=Seth]If you would read the card you would see that Emrakul doesn't have an enter the Battlefield (he isn't a 187 creature as it is usually reffered to) ability.

The card clearly states:

'When you cast Emrakul, take an extra turn after this one.'

Casting triggers Emrakuls ability. When you cheat him into play one way or another it isn't the same as casting him.

Grave Titan and other 187 creatures have a come in play ability that triggers when they enter the field. It doesn't matter how they enter the field as long as they do the ability triggers.[/QUOTE]

Ha yeah. Immediately after this post I did some research and realized the obvious. Thanks a lot for the help though!
Posted 07 December 2011 at 11:53