Discussion Forum

RDW, Solar flare, Pod-run??

Heya guys, so I've been in the game for a long time, but as a casual player. I have never played in any bigger tournaments, biggest must have been Gran Prix in Sweden like 7 years ago.

Anyway, I see a lot of "Bah that's just a version of solar flare" or "Nothing cool about your deck bro, it's just an RDW with a twist" etc..

The thing is, I have no idea what this means.. I build all my decks by looking at cards and then putting together what I feel would be fun to play or synergize well.

So could someone explain to me what these so obviously very common deck means? What exactly defines a Solar Flare-deck? or a Wolf-Run etc..

Thanks.
Posted 06 December 2011 at 12:40

It's a standard thing, don't worry about it. Standard is so limited that the few good deck types that are competitive are quickly discovered and get labeled. If you run standard and your list is good it's likely that you have come to the same conclusions as the rest of the world, hence your deck resembles a stocklist.

As for RDW will it's an archtype, it's hard to build a red deck that isn't RDW or Red Sligh or whatever name you fancy.

The people who are throwing you these stupid replies are probably just trying to draw attention to themselves showing off how they know something. They probably don't even know Solar Flare is not a new deck but a deck from Ravnica that had a simular theme. Solar Flare was a deck with two strategies to get big broken creatures out fast (from what I remember), one using the graveyard (like they do now) and the other using signets to mana ramp into hardcasting these big guys.
Posted 06 December 2011 at 12:56

Well, I guess that it's true that you are more limited to a certain amount of workable decks in Standard, but the variations can still be plenty.

I like Standard BECAUSE it is slightly limited, it means you have to think in a smaller box, sort of :D

Now, I don't take much sleight when people throw these comments at me, but It makes me curious about what these decks are.

I found an article about Solar Flare (the old version) and sure, the base-concept is the same.. get big creature in graveyard to get him in the battlefield faster... but the decks don't look anything a like anyways..

I have never quite understood people that just copy what ever top 5 decks won on this and that tournament.. it takes out all the fun of being creative and thinking for your self.

Now don't get me wrong, it's always good with input from different sources, but seems a lot of people just straight up copy decks a lot of the times..

So..

Solar Flare is a collective name for all sorts of Graveyard playing-decks.

RDW seems to be any fast red deck..

So what about Wolf-ramp and Pod's?
Posted 06 December 2011 at 13:26

pod decks run Birthing Pod and Wolf-ramp runs Kessig Wolf Run I guess, a land that feels pretty overpowered. Both are just decks build around specific cards but these cards are strong enough to affect not only standard but Modern as well.

[QUOTE=Jestrix]I have never quite understood people that just copy what ever top 5 decks won on this and that tournament.. it takes out all the fun of being creative and thinking for your self. [/QUOTE]

Wel I do get it but I also get that playing a stocklist doesn't mean you'll win. It still takes a lot of playtesting to play a deck well especially in older formats like legacy. Having a good deck (means a well tested deck) is the first step, the rest is still hard work.
Most small-time competitive players like myself don't have the time nor the playgroup to test home-brew decks. In a format as complex as legacy it takes thousands of games against every tier 1 deck to establish a new rogue deck. I love making my own legacy builds, I even take them to tournaments from time to time but I'm so stupid to believe that my homebrew would stand a chance against decks that have been proved over and over and have been through so many tests by so many players. It's starting a fight with a disadvantage.
When I play casual magic like Commander I play my own brews (which doesn't mean starting from scratch, my own brews derive from what I've picked up over the years), when I play tournaments I choose a list from the net that fits me. Then I playtest it for a few weeks, take it to a few tournaments, tweak it a bit so that it fits me better and so that the sideboard fits the matchups I have trouble with.
Once I know an archetype well like Landstill, Bant Aggro or UW StoneBlade I can craft a deck from scratch and perform well with it but it is still build upon the experience of many players and many stocklists I looked at before arriving at my own list.
Posted 06 December 2011 at 13:53