Discussion Forum

Clerics in Legacy

This deck has changed much for me over the years. Help me make the next revision the best one yet. http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=275013
Posted 24 December 2011 at 05:28

This deck struggles sometimes against all the control seen in legacy. a few well placed controls and the combo falters making the agro force to small to be effective. Even with the power of Mother Of Runes to fight targeting control, Grand Abolisher to fend off counterspells, & True Believer to protect my hand from discard. Any help to improve this deck would be appreciated!
Posted 24 December 2011 at 21:41

Have you ever played cephalid breakfast? It's not that different from your build only that the win condition is getting an en-Kor in play and Chephalid illusionist instead of an en-kor+Daru Spiritualist+Doran, the Siege Tower and hope to beat them to death. Breakfast has a better/faster kill. You should check it out.
Posted 25 December 2011 at 12:29

I am familiar with the Cephalid breakfast deck. I like it with its blue aspects but have wound up going with this because it proved to be more round when the combo gets disrupted. This deck can fall back on plain old agro beats bit easier but I could be incorrect in my thinking. Where it really struggles is beating out other kill combos that are faster (Ooze, Tendrils, Belcher) True Believer is all I have to stop them and I have to wish to that in game 1. Another weakness its its utter lack of flying. A few discards followed by a Tombstalker equals me dieing just because I cant block it. My thoughts on change were to remove both the Chrome Mox & add another Sensei's Divining Top & a Karakas. Thanks for the imput, keep it coming. 5k tourny is in a week so I want to as ready as possible.
Posted 26 December 2011 at 01:08

5k tourney, that's heavy. You have to play through a lot these days to win with this deck. There's a lot of RU(g) decks and UW Bladecontrol decks. RU(g) has lighting bolt, Fire/Ice, possible chain lightning and stifle all backed up by snapcaster mage to abuse them again. UW BladeControl (and Aggro Bant) do the same with swords to plowshares/(path to exile after board) and snapcaster. Both decks run 3-4 spell snare which makes resolving Daru Spiritualist and Dark Confidant hard. They also run main counterspells and force.
Stifle is also a problem for Starlit Sanctum. And that's the control decks. Combo is going to be problematic. Against tendrils if you can resolve Ethersworn Canonist you're probably good but I don't know what your plan is against Show and Tell or reanimator.
Also every combo deck will race against your deck because you can't counter them. If they have nothing to play around (daze/spell pierce) they go off real fast.

What's your plan against Dredge?

PS: True Believer kind'o sucks. He's a 2 drop which is too late to be good protection and dies to everything. If you are playing against BUG Control/ Team America like decks, Leyline of sanctity is a better plan. Fucks them up pretty bad.

good luck man, tells us how you did!
Posted 26 December 2011 at 07:59

Well to get around targeting control I hope to play a Mother of Runes and use Aether Vial and Grand Abolisher to sneak stuff out past any counters. Show and Tell & Reanimator go down to Vindicate and Maelstrom Pulse so long as Im able to get out a Grand Abolisher. Dredge gets toasted because I sac a creature to Starlit Sanctum and smash there Bridge from Below I would play something else but this is the only deck I have. Im excessively poor and only have these card because I have collected for almost 20 years. Then won a bunch when Sligh and Goblins were the main decks in the format. Used that store credit to get what I was missing.
Posted 27 December 2011 at 05:18

How does show and tell go down to Vindicate? The only out you have is Living Wish into Karakas and bounce Emrakul. That at least takes care of part of their win conditions. Hivemind is game over.

Some cheap sideboard options for your living wishes could be Gaddock Teeg (against Force, Sneak Attack, Jace, Elspeth, Engineered Explosives...) and Yixlid Jailer against Dredge.

Why 2xKarakas? I get playing one main and one side but both in sideboard when you play living wish is overkill. Better to play 1xBojuka Bog and 1xKarakas.

Mother of Runes is pretty solid and so is Vial + Abolisher.

looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Posted 27 December 2011 at 11:04

Thx so much for the advise. I will totally let you know how I do in the 5k. The reason I was running 2 karakas was so I could board one in against reanimator. It also dbbls a protection for my doran. Teeg is a great idea though. Im in heavy test mode Ill try those ideas on my MWS.
Posted 27 December 2011 at 22:08

I've been testing myself for an upcomming big tournament in February (1st price all 40 duals). I'm either going to run Aggro Bant or Sneaky Show, probably Sneaky Show (The build with 3 Jace the Mindsculptor).
I've been testing Sneaky Show since last week, it's an awesome deck but I have realy problems with Surgical Extraction (and I'm not even running a graveyard deck). Extraction + Snapcaster mage is really sick. My teammates have been test extracting all sorts of stuff like my Volcanic Islands, my fetchlands, my ponders, sometimes Show and Tell itself if they get the chance. It's all been pretty devestating. I'm still getting pretty good odds but Surgical Extraction = pretty broken. I wouldn't want to be a graveyard deck right now.

Also one of my strongest cards I board in game2 is Magus of the Moon (I might run Blood Moon instead, not sure yet). I win a lot of games on Magus. I've noticed you don't run basics nor do you run Swords to Plowshares. I'd run at least single plains if I were you, just in case.
Posted 28 December 2011 at 07:45