Discussion Forum

Non basic land help needed.

Hi all,

Might seem a bit of a daft question but better safe than sorry and I havent played in near 10 years. When a non basic land card or ability on a creature card states..

(tap) : Add (any) to your mana pool

If you have already tapped 1 land then this means you have 2 lands available to use. However I presume you keep this number in your head and dont actually look for another land card to use?

Thanks
Posted 31 December 2011 at 02:02

I think I understand what your asking, here goes.

First off, land is not mana. Though land is your main source of mana, they are 2 different things. Any card (usually a permenant) with a mana ability (usually written -> :symtap: : Add :manaqm: to your mana pool.) will add mana to your mana pool. Though you usually see this ability written out on some creatures, artifacts, and non-basic lands, it's technically on all the basic lands too, it's just implied (though on some older basic land cards you will see it fully written out).

Activating any such mana ability will add mana to your mana pool. In my experience nobody has kept track of mana in their pool, as they need that mana right away to pay a cost. Not many people leave mana just sitting in their mana pool for long, so there really isn't any need to keep track of it in any concrete way.

In the case of leftover mana in your mana pool, like if you have a land that grants you :manau::manaw: when you only need :manau:, then (I believe) the extra mana only lasts until the end of whatever phase of the turn your currently in.

tldr: Land =/= Mana, and activating ":symtap: : Add :manab: to your mana pool" is the same as tapping a Swamp for mana

Hope this helps :)
Posted 31 December 2011 at 07:37

Thank you very much for your help. I understand it a bit better now. Another quick question. I understand the 3 different abilities and when they can be used. Am I right in saying that Royal Assassin's ability Tap: Destroy target tapped creature can be used like an instant?

Thanks again for your help.
Posted 31 December 2011 at 18:30

Yes, unless the ability says otherwise, you can use an activated ability (such as Royal Assassin's) any time you have priority.
Posted 31 December 2011 at 19:56