Discussion Forum

Deathtouch

Slightly confused with this one..

On Venegful Pharoah it states that only 1 damage is enough to destroy any other creature.

Fair enough I understand that but on Vampire Nighthawk it states that above but also that the damage can be split up between any number of attackers or blockers. Does deathtouch mean both of these things or is it different for different creatures?

Thanks
Posted 09 January 2012 at 04:31

Deathtouch does mean both of those things (in a way). If a creature is blocked by two creatures, in order to deal damage to both of those creatures, the attacking creature has to deal lethal damage to one of those creatures. (The extra damage can then be allocated to the other creature if you want to). Since 1 damage from a source with deathtouch is considered lethal damage, you would only have to assign 1 damage to the first creature before being able to deal damage to the next of the group of blockers blocking your attacker. Say for example that you had a 5/5 deathtouch and your opponent blocked it with 5 9/9s. (Under most circumstances this would be a stupid thing for your opponent to do, but we'll say it anyway). You would assign 1 damage to the first of those 9/9s. Now that 9/9 has sustained lethal damage and you can allocate additional damage to another creature. You then repeat this process with the other 4 damage you have available hitting the opponents other 4 9/9s. Thus all of the 9/9s have been destroyed.
Posted 09 January 2012 at 05:46

Ok thanks very much for your help. Is it a case of I have the option of splitting up the damage if im being blocked by more than one creature and if its only 1 creature blocking then I obviously dont need to split any damage up.

Another daft q most likely.... If im attacked by say 1 5/5 and I have 1 2/2 and 1 3/3 I can use both to block that 1 5/5? So you can use as many creatures as you want to block any number of attackers?

Thanks again for your advice.
Posted 09 January 2012 at 19:31

[QUOTE=mikkg86]Ok thanks very much for your help. Is it a case of I have the option of splitting up the damage if im being blocked by more than one creature and if its only 1 creature blocking then I obviously dont need to split any damage up.

Another daft q most likely.... If im attacked by say 1 5/5 and I have 1 2/2 and 1 3/3 I can use both to block that 1 5/5? So you can use as many creatures as you want to block any number of attackers?

Thanks again for your advice.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can but everything would die. If the attacking creature is blocked by two or more creatures, the attacking creature's controller assigns the combat damage however he or she likes.
Posted 09 January 2012 at 21:52