Discussion Forum

Curious about this card combo..

Okay I have lots of questions now revolving around Phyrexian Unlife

Could you use a Phyrexian Unlife then a Death Cloud?

More or less asking if you can make it so you cant lose by having no life (with the first card) and then slamming them with death cloud to take out all of their life? Would be pretty awesome to be able to take out their life without losing from killing yourself as well lol

What about Melira, Sylvok Outcast to make it so you cant take poison counters?

And would a Delaying Shield work with it as well?

Edit: More questions.. If I'm at negative life but alive by using Phyrexian Unlife could I use Repay in Kind to bring their life to negative and win?

And what about Death's Shadow If you were at -7 life would it give him More power?
Posted 10 January 2012 at 04:47

the logic seems sound to me to on everything but the deaths shadow id run some of those in my decks if it would fit in id like to think the deaths shadow thing would since a negative minus a negative equals a positive however im not sure how exactly it would work
Posted 10 January 2012 at 05:53

[QUOTE=me15159]the logic seems sound to me to on everything but the deaths shadow id run some of those in my decks if it would fit in id like to think the deaths shadow thing would since a negative minus a negative equals a positive however im not sure how exactly it would work[/QUOTE]

That was the main one I had serious doubts on. Logically speaking I'd love to think I could put negative life into giving it More power, but I'm not sure if there's a rule against that?
Posted 10 January 2012 at 06:12

[QUOTE=Nick]Okay I have lots of questions now revolving around Phyrexian Unlife

Could you use a Phyrexian Unlife then a Death Cloud?

More or less asking if you can make it so you cant lose by having no life (with the first card) and then slamming them with death cloud to take out all of their life? Would be pretty awesome to be able to take out their life without losing from killing yourself as well lol[/quote]
Yes, but don't forget that any damage delt after you are < or = 0 is done as poison counters...just be careful not to make it too big :)

[quote]What about Melira, Sylvok Outcast to make it so you cant take poison counters?[/quote]
Yup, if you have both Phyrexian Unlife and Melira out, then damage won't affect your life total once it's at or less than 0, and you won't take poison counters.

[quote]And would a Delaying Shield work with it as well?[/quote]
Delaying Shield would work, but differently. It replaces "damage" with delay counters, but then if you don't pay the appropriate mana during your upkeep, you "loose life" which is different than being delt damage.

Say you had Phyrexian Unlife and Delaying Shield out on the battlefield, were at 0 life, and were delt 3 damage. Delaying Shield would replace the damage with 3 delay counters. On your next upkeep, if you didn't pay any mana for the triggered ability you would loose 3 life, and thus be at -3 total life because the 2nd part of Phyrexian Unlife only cares about damage.

[quote]Edit: More questions.. If I'm at negative life but alive by using Phyrexian Unlife could I use Repay in Kind to bring their life to negative and win?[/quote]
Yes

[quote]And what about Death's Shadow If you were at -7 life would it give him More power?[/QUOTE]
Yes. From the Gatherer: If your life total is less than 0 and an effect (such as the one from an opponent's Abyssal Persecutor) is keeping you from losing the game, Death's Shadow's ability will actually increase its power and toughness. For example, if your life total is -2, Death's Shadow gets +2/+2.
Posted 10 January 2012 at 07:11

Thanks for the help, clears up a lot for me. :D
Posted 10 January 2012 at 15:39

thanks for some clarification i was definately curious about that im trying to learn more about rules and such to help out our local fnm coordinator by becoming a rules advisor at least so he can play sometimes the main thing i didnt catch was the delaying shield thing very nasty with the unlife if you can capitalize on that
Posted 10 January 2012 at 15:46

[QUOTE=efinmiller]Yes, but don't forget that any damage delt after you are < or = 0 is done as poison counters...just be careful not to make it too big :)
[/QUOTE]

Death Cloud/Phyrexian Unlife would work, but you are losing life due to death cloud, not taking damage. Therefore, you wouldn't take any infect damage from it either, because Phyrexian Unlife only deals with damage, not loss of life.
Posted 15 January 2012 at 20:04

[QUOTE=sethbodine]Death Cloud/Phyrexian Unlife would work, but you are losing life due to death cloud, not taking damage. Therefore, you wouldn't take any infect damage from it either, because Phyrexian Unlife only deals with damage, not loss of life.[/QUOTE]

Good catch, thanks. Another way to buff up your Death's Shadow then :)
Posted 16 January 2012 at 05:22