Discussion Forum

Question about Stave off

Me and my friends are new to magic so I'd like to clear up how this situation would end. I had two creatures attacking him and when he went to block one I used Stave Off to make it so the card he blocked would have protection from the card's color. He said because the card Stave Off says "it cant be blocked by.." that I cant use stave off to block the creature when it's attacking, and he insisted if he cant block that one he could move it to block the other creature instead?

If you need more clarification feel free to ask, thanks
Posted 15 January 2012 at 21:30

Your question is rather oddly phrased, but I think I get the gist. If you use Stave Off on a creature before the declaration of blockers, then your opponent cannot block it with a creature of the chosen color. However, if you cast it after blockers are declared, than your opponents creature wouldn't be able to deal damage to your creature. He wouldn't be able to switch it to blocking another creature, and I don't know where he got that idea from. Protection as I learned it can be remembered by the acronym D.E.B.T, that is:
Damage
Enchanting/Equipping
Blocking
Targeting
Things of the chosen quality, in this case colors, cannot do any of the above things to your staved off creature. However, if your creature is blocked before it receives protection, the blocking will still occur, but the opponent's creature cannot deal damage to your creature.
Posted 16 January 2012 at 00:32

Yeah I wrote that rather poorly but you answered my questions fully, thanks
Posted 16 January 2012 at 02:24