Discussion Forum

Essence of the Wild question.

Essence is out, I play a token generator, plays token that become Essence of the Wild, do those new Essence go to the graveyard (the token>essence)?
Posted 18 January 2012 at 05:20

You'll have to be more specific, what's causing the tokens to go to the graveyard?
Posted 18 January 2012 at 15:16

Let's just say another 6/6 killled it...
Posted 18 January 2012 at 17:19

If you are asking if tokens go to the graveyard, then the answer is "yes, but...". Token creatures will go to the graveyard when they die, but they will only be there until SBA's are done (which is pretty much immediately). So any "enters the graveyard" or "whenever a creature dies" triggers (eg: Morbid, Lumberknot) will trigger but anything that checks for a creature(s) in the graveyard (Boneyard Wurm, Gnaw to the bone) won't be able to find your dead token.

Does that answer your question?
Posted 18 January 2012 at 17:30

No I'm thinking that since tokens come in as essence, and essence doesn't say "in addition to their soother types"... so would that take out token and there for go to the graveyard??
Posted 18 January 2012 at 21:26

I think you're thinking of this:

[quote]205.4d Any permanent with the supertype “legendary” is subject to the state-based action for legendary permanents, also called the “legend rule” (see rule 704.5k).[/quote]

And this:

[quote]306.4. If two or more planeswalkers that share a planeswalker type are on the battlefield, all are put into their owners’ graveyards as a state-based action. This is called the “planeswalker uniqueness rule.” See rule 704.
[/quote]
which only apply to legendary creatures and planeswalkers, respectively.

You can have as many Essence of the Wild on the battlefield as you want without the game rules interfering.
Posted 18 January 2012 at 22:16

That still not really answering my question. Let me break it down.

1. I'm running an essence of the wild deck.
2. While having Essence of the wild and Garruk out, I play +1 for a wolf token into the battlefield, that token becomes an essence.
3. I sacrifice that token for Garruks -1 "Sacrifice a creature. If you do, search your library for a creature card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library."
4. Now does that wolf token, that became an Essence go into the graveyard as a copy of essence of the wild? because its becomes a copy of essence of the wild, NOT in addition to its other types.
5. Reason i'm asking is because of Garruk's -3 "Creatures you control gain tample and get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creature CARDS in your graveyard."
6. So does that original wolf token that became an Essence count towards have a creature card int he graveyard. The card being an Essence of the Wild.
Posted 18 January 2012 at 23:39

Wonderful, now I know what you're asking :)

Tokens can only exist on the battlefield. Though they can go to the graveyard, they cease to exist once they get there. So no, the dead tokens won't count towards Garruk, the Veil-Cursed -3 ability.
[quote]704.5d If a token is phased out, or is in a zone other than the battlefield, it ceases to exist.
[/quote]
Posted 19 January 2012 at 00:56

So their still tokens even though they come into play as essences, and essence doesn't say "in addition to their other types"
Posted 19 January 2012 at 05:39

A token isn't a "type" of anything, it's just a representation of a permanent that isn't represented by a card. Essence of the Wild makes these tokens come onto the battlefield as copies of Essence of the Wild, which means the token's values get replaced by all the copiable values:
[quote]706.2...The “copiable values” are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty)...[/quote]
In this case it would become a token representing a green Creature - Avatar named Essence of the Wild with a mana cost of :mana3::manag::manag::manag: from the Innistrad expansion with the static ability "Creatures you control enter the battlefield as a copy of Essence of the Wild" that has power = 6 and toughness = 6.
Posted 19 January 2012 at 06:38