Discussion Forum

Poison Counters, are they damage?

If I put down Phyrexian Unlife and Delaying Shield then my opponent keeps putting poison counters on me does the delaying shield block the poison counters too? What about proliferated poison counters?

More or less does blocking damage mean block poison counters too? I was told the card combo would block the poison counters but needed to see
Posted 27 January 2012 at 15:17

The delaying shield would block the poison counters.
The proliferation would still take effect, your opponents could kill you by proliferation.
Posted 27 January 2012 at 15:44

Poison counters themselves are not damage.

Infect creatures deal damage in the form of poison counters, so Delaying Shield would trigger, but any other ability/spell that directly adds a poison counter would go through as normal.
Posted 27 January 2012 at 19:31

Just needed to know if I could die from an infect/proliferate deck, thanks
Posted 28 January 2012 at 17:10

A better Phyrexian Unlife combo uses Melira, Sylvok Outcast where you use Delaying Shield. Admittedly this would require a dual color deck, but it could prove to be worth your while.
Posted 28 January 2012 at 18:05

Or you could just use your combo and add in some copies of leeches to get rid of the poison counters you may have accrued while still running only white. (If your Phyrexian Unlife is on the board, you also need to have Delaying Shield on the board for the leeches to have any effect.
Posted 28 January 2012 at 18:08