Discussion Forum

Feed the pack + Eland Umbra?

I was looking into a treefolk deck and this Feed the Pack caught my attention. Now I have found Eland Umbra and I am wondering if they would work together, or if Feed the Pack would fizzle as its target was not sacrificed. Anyone have an idea?

Also, would Feed the Pack work along with regenerate?
Posted 10 February 2012 at 20:27

The (over?)simplified answer to your questions is, "destruction =/= sacrifice".

[quote]701.14a To sacrifice a permanent, its controller moves it from the battlefield directly to its owner’s graveyard. A player can’t sacrifice something that isn’t a permanent, or something that’s a permanent he or she doesn’t control. Sacrificing a permanent doesn’t destroy it, so regeneration or other effects that replace destruction can’t affect this action.[/quote]

Both Totem Armor and Regeneration are destruciton-replacement effects. I think the kind of thing you're looking for is something that either triggers, or can be used after/while the creature is in the graveyard.

I would recommend looking into Reassembling Skeleton, Gravecrawler or most anything with [card=Young Wolf]Undying. When you sacrifice these creatures, they will be able to come back atleast once (undying will only work once unless you can remove the counter), so you can get multiple uses out of them.

Edit: Here's a deck I built around the idea of repeatedly sac-ing creatures if you want a reference. It's no Tier 1 deck, but it has drawn some positive attention at FNM (and I'm quite partial to it :) ).

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=268910
Posted 11 February 2012 at 07:14

Thanks again efinmiller, you're the best!
Posted 11 February 2012 at 21:05

Awe shucks, don't mention it :)
Posted 12 February 2012 at 04:17