Discussion Forum

Myojins

Hey,
I've been wondering this for a while, remember the Myojins from Champions of Kamigawa? Which one do you think is the best? (I say Life's Web)
Posted 24 November 2009 at 05:30

By the way, the poll ends in 2 weeks so vote quick :P
Posted 24 November 2009 at 05:33

im kind of debating whether infinite rage or life's web is the best. but im going to have to go with infinite rage because it just kills your opponents chance of winning. it just forces your opponent to start over while you get a huge upper hand.
Posted 24 November 2009 at 06:02

Seeing Winds for sure, with a close second in Night's Reach. Seeing Winds lets you draw into amazing things, which leads to more stuff than your opponent has. Card advantage is very important.
Posted 24 November 2009 at 09:45

Good choices, I still go with LIfe's Web, The quick-summon ability is awesome, especially in a jund deck, it allows you to add a bunch of creatures so you can summon a mycoloth or something and have it devour everything on the field to end the game. (By the way, try this in a Multi-HEaded Giant match AFTER someone plays sleep, 1shot2kill
:P)
Posted 25 November 2009 at 02:21

[QUOTE=NightLoki]Seeing Winds for sure, with a close second in Night's Reach. Seeing Winds lets you draw into amazing things, which leads to more stuff than your opponent has. Card advantage is very important.[/QUOTE]

Very wise, good for a high mana deck that builds off one card.
Posted 25 November 2009 at 02:28

when it comes down to Myojins, I usually only think of them in a cube format sense or a type 4 format sense, simply because i dont expect to see them outside of that (except maybe EDH....IDEA! later though). It just tailors to basic card game theory i.e. if our cards in our decks are of the same approximate quality, the one who gets the most cards wins. Obviously it's more complicated, but draw is good.
Posted 25 November 2009 at 10:34

I will go with Life's Web and besides imagine using it's ability to put ALL 4 Other Myojins into play :D (even though it would be hard making a good deck that includes all 5 Moyjins)
Posted 25 November 2009 at 18:52

Well, it was a tough choice, but I think Life's Web. I was debating about clensing fire, but I decided on Life's Web just because it is more powerful and can pull a lot of creatures into play quickly. It is also by far the strongest in terms of power and toughness of any of the moyjins. Seeing Winds is good, but I don't like it just because you would run the risk of drawing yourself out. By the time you could play it, normally around turn 10 with no mana accell or other ways of puting into play included, you would draw at the very least 11 cards. If you're facing a mill deck, you would never be safe enough to use it. I also don't like Infinite Rage just because he destroys all lands, not only your opponents (though it would be interesting to play him using only artifacts that produce mana...).
Posted 25 November 2009 at 19:11

Life's web. I play alot of green and the idea of putting alot of creatures in for free appeals to me. also mana acceleration would get him out quick. i'm busy designing a deck using life's web and... dam can't remember the other card's name. the leviethan that costs 9 and fetches all things that cost 9.

I got it, it's called Grozoth.
Posted 26 November 2009 at 15:38

Two of them are very good in multiplayer and EDH games and see quite a bit of play where I come from.

Myojin of Cleansing Fire: This is a pretty solid board control card
Myojin of Night's Reach: Is in my opinion pretty broken in multiplayer. The advantage it brings simply takes over the game. I stopped playing it because it was no fun.

Myojin of Seeing Winds: Is ok in EDH but the mana cost is just to high, there are better options.

The other Myojin are not worth playing IMO. If you want to blow up stuff Obliterate is far better choice then the Red Myojin. The green Myojin might look good on paper but it isn't. Getting creatures in your hand is far more difficult then getting them into play. It's like playing elvish piper, just as bad.
Posted 01 December 2009 at 09:16

@Seth there's really only three places the myojins are fun in, that's EDH, casual type 1 (which I'm not allowed to play anymore apparently), and Type4/DC10. And cube sometimes. Competitively, it doesn't seem like they were ever costed low enough for tournament magic (though I didn't play competitively during the time they were in T2, so I could be wrong.)
Posted 01 December 2009 at 13:33

[QUOTE=NightLoki]@Seth there's really only three places the myojins are fun in, that's EDH, casual type 1 (which I'm not allowed to play anymore apparently), and Type4/DC10. And cube sometimes. Competitively, it doesn't seem like they were ever costed low enough for tournament magic (though I didn't play competitively during the time they were in T2, so I could be wrong.)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I guess what you say is true for most cards that make it into T2 decks and disappear from the tournament scene forever once they rotate (unless some new combo comes up when new cards are printed). I do think they can be strong cards in slower games (multiplayer/EDH) and are good choices for a deck that puts them to good use. There are already to many cards out there that just won't make the cut into any deck because they are simply overshadowed by other better cards.
Posted 01 December 2009 at 13:55

Some cards are like that, it's true. Other cards make a bigger splash in the eternal formats than in the Standard environment they're in. (hint: think Ad Nauseum) What I love about this game is the fact that it's just so diverse! Also, I'm amending my vote to Night's Reach. Over all the formats that it's feasible to play in, Night's Reach is the best. The blue one? eh, it's good if it resolves with a bunch of permanents out.
Posted 07 December 2009 at 20:10

[QUOTE=Chiligyro]I will go with Life's Web and besides imagine using it's ability to put ALL 4 Other Myojins into play :D (even though it would be hard making a good deck that includes all 5 Moyjins)[/QUOTE]

completely agree
backup creatures for a sunburst deck???
Posted 20 December 2009 at 22:14