Discussion Forum

Blightsteel Colossus effect

Does any card have the same effect as Blightsteel Colossus? Meaning that when it's put into the graveyard it gets put back into the library?
Posted 16 February 2012 at 13:56

yup. there's Guile,Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre.
Posted 16 February 2012 at 15:11

darksteel colossus, hosility, vigor, dread...
Posted 16 February 2012 at 18:16

Thanks, that'll do. Just had an interesting idea for my deck where currently (once set up) I can only lose by running out of cards, but if i have to discard blightsteel and more of those type of cards they go right back into the library :P

Brings up another odd question if someone wants to answer;

Say someone plays Jace's Erasure and some other cards and I have to discard 4 cards at a time and I have three blightsteels left as my library. Does the blightsteels effect trigger as soon as it is discarded into the graveyard or do I have to discard all four cards before their effects trigger?

If you need me to elaborate just ask, thank you
Posted 16 February 2012 at 23:24

the terminology is milling, you have to mill 4 cards. Discarding refers to putting handcards in the yard.

As far as I know it makes no difference how many cards you have to mill, even if you mill a 1000. You only loose when you are unable to draw a card because you have no library left.

So if he says you have to mill 4 cards, you mill 4 cards (at once, effects go on the stack and only resolve after the milling effect has fully resolved) and then the blightsteel triggers and so on.

Isn't running Gaea's Blessing better for the purpose of what you are trying to do. It's what people played against mill decks before all the eldrazi crap.
Posted 17 February 2012 at 08:20

There are the Sun's Zenith cycle series of spells that also have the similar effect. Once you cast these spells, after they resolve/countered, you then shuffle the spell back into your library.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewCard_Popup.aspx?CardName=Green Sun's Zenith&Edition=MBS&Print=1

Thats the Green version.
Posted 19 February 2012 at 16:14

[QUOTE=TripleFisted]There are the Sun's Zenith cycle series of spells that also have the similar effect. Once you cast these spells, after they resolve/countered, you then shuffle the spell back into your library.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to nitpick, but if you were to counter one of those spells the card would go to the graveyard just like any other spell. Shuffling it back into your library is part of the effect of the spell. If it's countered then none of it's effects occur. It's the first ruling under each of the Sun's Zenith cards on the Gatherer.
(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=221558)
Posted 20 February 2012 at 05:04

Wheel of Sun and Moon is another way to protect against milling.
Posted 20 February 2012 at 13:40

[QUOTE=efinmiller]Sorry to nitpick, but if you were to counter one of those spells the card would go to the graveyard just like any other spell. Shuffling it back into your library is part of the effect of the spell. If it's countered then none of it's effects occur. It's the first ruling under each of the Sun's Zenith cards on the Gatherer.
(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=221558)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I figured as much, I was just too lazy to go to the Gatherer and confirm that, so I just went with it as is lol.
Posted 20 February 2012 at 20:48