Discussion Forum

a question about sadistic sacrament and archive trap.

hiya guys, im new to these forums, ive played mtg on and off for years, but have only just started playing it with any seriousness and i have a quick question about sadistic sacrament and archive trap.

archive trap states: if an opponent searched his or her library this turn, you may play 0 rather than pay archive trap's mana cost.

sadistic sacrament states: Search target player's library for up to three cards, exile them, then that player shuffles his or her library.

am i right in thinking that if i use sadistic sacrament to search their library, i still have to pay full cost for archive trap, because my opponent didnt search his own library, he just shuffled it? or is it any time my opponents library is searched?

cheers guys!
Posted 26 November 2009 at 13:50

you are correct, the trap's lower cost is dependent on the opponent performing the action of searching through his deck, not the fact that his/her deck is being searched.
Posted 26 November 2009 at 16:29

if an opponent searched his or her library this turn

This clearly states THEY MUST SEARCH not that the library needs to be. The way I be a douche with Archive Traps is that I use Blue/White and I path them and then slam them with 1-4 archive traps when they get a simple tapped land :)
Posted 07 February 2010 at 04:55

Sadistic Sacrament doesn't work, sadly, because you are the one searching their library, and Archive Trap says if your opponent searches. The Path thing works quite nicely though.
Posted 08 February 2010 at 04:32