Discussion Forum

Comments - Input please!

Hello

As some of you may know, we are currently writing the next version of the TCG Network.

One of the modules I am working on is comments! At the moment, you cannot delete, report, edit or anything on any comments.

I am thinking of doing a facebook style system:

* The owner of a deck can delete any comments on their deck(s)
* Any user can delete their own comments, anywhere

Would you guys, the users, be happy with this? Or would you think the deck owners may abuse it and delete the crappy comments?

The other alternative is to let users delete their own comments and add in a "Report" button, so users can report posts that require moderation.

Obviously this one will require Gary or I to go through and delete/edit said comments. This will require a lot of time and considering it's a hobby and we aren't getting paid, it could take up too much time.

Editing comments is a bit trickier... is it worth me having a look at working on this?

Anything else you guys would like in regards to comments? I am currently not looking at putting HTML into comments, they will be entirely text based.

Cheers
Posted 27 November 2009 at 20:24

This is an interesting one...

If we give deck owners the ability to remove comments on their decks I'm sure some people would delete any negative comments they get and would therefore potentially give a false impression of said decks to other users. On the other hand if we don't allow deck owners to delete comments we need some way of getting rid of abusive comments and as Ian said a report button would flag these comments up but I wonder how long this would take us to moderate each day...

I'm unsure how we should proceed with this at the moment.
Posted 28 November 2009 at 01:05

let people modify or delete their own comments but don't let owners of decks delete any comments they want. A lot of useful comments will be lost that way. It will lead to frustrated users.
Posted 01 December 2009 at 08:44