Discussion Forum

painters gifts

another deck that i have been playing around with, i dont have the money to make but in play testing the deck does work.

1st i have to explain a ruling. gifts ungiven says that you search your library for 4 cards then your opponent chooses 2 and sends them to the graveyard. in the rules of magic it says if you search a hidden zone for any amount of cards you do not have to select the number specified on the card. i.e. you can search for 2 cards and have your opponent send them both to the graveyard.

so here goes:

creatures:9
4 painters servants
1 Iona, shield of emeria
4 snapcaster mage

spells:26
4 unburial rites
4 flash freeze
4 mana leak
4 gifts ungiven
3 inquisition of kozilek
3 ravens crime
4 death mark

now the land base:
cant remember at the moment but it was somthing like 25 lands with lots of shock lands and fetches, fetid heath, hallowed fountian, watery grave, godless shrine

as far as explination always choose green with painters and Iona, use gifts to fetch unburial and Iona then flash back the unburial for Iona. other than that make sure your opponent doesnt get threats on board. also i would add bob but cant find room.
Posted 05 March 2012 at 20:24

Isn't the deck simply better without Painter servant. I see it as a weakness where you seem to see it as a strength. If you replace the 4 painter servant spots with better toolbox creatures to reanimate then you have an alround plan of attack.
You can't run flash freeze and death mark this way but you could replace them with cards that actually work when you don't have servant in play. flash freeze and death mark are still excellent cards against many decks and you could pack them in the side. ravens crime is cute but Liliana of the Veil would be better as a discard outlet, giving you more answers to various situations.
Posted 08 March 2012 at 11:11