Discussion Forum

Compost Pile

I'm working on a casual/vintage :manabg: land destruction deck that uses Stripmine, Wasteland, and [CARD="Verdant Catacombs"]fetchlands to help Terravore swing for the kill. I have a good list of land destruction spells lined up for both colors, but no real metagame other than destroy stuff and let Terravore eat things. Anyone have any suggestions? Also... I am trying to figure out what the :mana1::manab::manag: kill spell is called. Kills I think a creature or an artifact/enchantment. Thanks! :)

EDIT: This is what I have thus far... Work in progress.
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=157902
Posted 07 March 2012 at 00:22

You have a lot of Lhurgoyf's for a ton of different stuff but if you really want to focus on land destruction so much how are your opponents going to even get creatures on the battlefield? Unless they are running some super cheap deck say elves. but you wanna get a Crucible of Worlds in there for damn sure maybe a Creeping Kudzu. Keeping a few kill spells is always handy but it seems as though your trying to add in a creature destruction deck too.
Posted 09 March 2012 at 08:08

Thanks for the input Zestynuggets. The theory is, after their lands are gone, they will be forced to discard a few things, or I could remove some kill spells for discard cards such as Hymn to Tourach or Thoughseize to help add to it. After they start discarding things, the other Lhurgoyfs will start growing. Terravore is the main focus, but it doesnt hurt to have a back up plan? If the oppenent is having a dry spell with lands, then they aren't going to have any to blow up and feed Terravore. Thats where Tarmogoyf and the others come into play. Not to mention Tarmogoyf can be such a huge creature for only 2 mana. Lord of Extinction would not just feed off the lands I blow up (mine and my oppenents), but would also feed off the spells I cast that end up in the graveyard, and the cards the opponent discards. I could see maybe ditching Mortivore, because he is the weakest of my creature selections since I am not aiming for mass creature destruction.

I like Crucible of Worlds for the fact alone that I can get more uses out of Stripmine and Wasteland for land destruction, or for my fetch lands. With an Urborg in play, I could in theory fetch for any land card in my deck since they are all considered "Swamps". Another route I have thought about doing is man lands like Mutavault or something just so I can fetch for those as well. If I play things right and I have the oppenent stuck with no lands, I can use Stripmine, pop it to destroy one of my own lands to feed Terravore, then next turn play the Stripmine again to destroy one of mine or my oppenents lands. As long as I am ahead on the mana curve, I can afford to make small sacrifices, right?

As far as the kill spells, what would you suggest I get rid of? Putrefy takes care of artifacts as well. If they get a mana acceleration artifact into play that gets around my land destruction, I need to be able to take care of it to keep them mana locked. If the opponent is running something like ANT or even a Kuldotha Red variant that uses :mana0: cast artifacts and creatures to try to build a fast small army, I need a board wipe.

So it looks like the options are:
Cut a few creatures, mainly Mortivore, for...
-Thoughtseize/Hymn to Tourach
-A 4th Winter's Grasp and 4th Rancid Earth
-Dash Hopes for some counter magic?

Any other suggestions?
Posted 10 March 2012 at 00:31

Hey had some thoughts on your deck. First I don't like your dash hopes idea. I have incorporated them into my black decks in hopes to use them as counters, but the majority of the time your opponent will take the the five life damage. If your putting em in there for direct damage go for it, but if your thought process is counter, its probably not gonna get the results you want. As far as that black green card you were referencing in your first post, is that petrify or purify? I thought i remember a card like that by that name....

For a good black board wipe card, have you looked at damnation?

I still need to look more at your deck, so i might have some more advice in a bit.
Posted 26 May 2012 at 13:34

Lol well looking at your deck, it looks like you already learned about putrefy and it looks like you already picked up on the damnation. (I like that you have your power nine cards in your deck, i don't use my moxes anymore and i really envy the fact that you have a lotus, really wish i shelled out the two hundred beans fifteen years ago!)

Considering it looks like you have access to some really old cards, have you thought about nevidahls disk. Another card would be fastbond instead of one of your explorations?

Food for thought!
Posted 26 May 2012 at 13:39

im also wondering if they remade armageddon as a black and/or green card in planar shift? Anyone know?
Posted 26 May 2012 at 13:40

Finally another oldschool card that might fit is demonic hordes! I can't remember if it had a cumulative upkeep or not thought bc its been so long since i played them!
Posted 26 May 2012 at 13:42

While we are on the oldschool cards that might fit, a berserk would go along way to use in unison with your beefed up creatures to put on that finishing blow to your opponent!
Posted 26 May 2012 at 13:53

strip mine is restricted in vintage
Posted 10 September 2012 at 07:52

what allywayjack said

+

if you don't mind dipping red Devastating Dreams is pretty awesome especially with Life from the Loam. Red also opens the option of playing Countryside Crusher which is at least as good as Terravore.

Smallpox is also worth playing. It's better then Sinkhole IMO
Posted 10 September 2012 at 08:17