Discussion Forum

Undying + Combat Damage

At my local card shop, I am an official judge for the unsactioned tournaments that we have. And for only playing magic for two years thats not that bad. So I acctually have two questions to ask. First is, what is the official website to take your judges test if there is one? And the second is, today me and a friend were playing a game, me with my zombies, and him with his undying.
My board state is a Mikeaus, the Unhallowed, two Diregraf Captains, a Cemetery Reaper, and a Phantasmal Image as a copy of Diregraf Captain. His board state is a Vorapede, Flayer of the Hatebound, and 2 Strangelroot Geists. His life total is at 14 and mine is at 6. I swing all out with my zombies with a total of 33 before blockers. He blocks with his Vorapede and Flayer, bringing my damage down to 18, enough to kill him. He seems to believe that the undying happens at the same time as the damage is dealt, therefore ending the game in a draw. I had told him this was incorrect and need another opinion to verify the correct ruling.
Thanks.
Posted 12 March 2012 at 02:32

1. You need to go to the Judge Center for your Judge Certification tests. It's generally recommended that you take the Rules Advisor's tests first, but it's not required. Any questions you have should be answered there (otherwise, feel free to ask, as always :) )

2. Undying is a triggered ability, and thus, uses the stack. In your scenario, when SBA's are checked after combat damage is dealt, the game will see that in addition to creatures with lethal damage marked, there is also a player with 0 or less health. So your opponent would loose the game before anyone got a chance to put any undying triggers on the stack, much less have them resolve.
Posted 12 March 2012 at 04:06

thank you for answering my questions ill try to check that out
Posted 12 March 2012 at 21:09