Discussion Forum

heartless summoning and sacrifice

i know a fair bit about the workings of the stack but im not entirely sure if i am right about this please tell me

i have heartless summoning on the field and i cast gideon's lawkeeper. i let this resolve and it enters the battlefield, gideon's lawkeeper now dies because it has a toughness of 1, does this go on the stack? so that i can then cast spells while he is still on the battlefield, such as alters reap. or does he just die as he enters?
Posted 12 March 2012 at 03:03

The moment your creature enters the battlefield, it dies. You would not be able to altar's reap it.
Posted 12 March 2012 at 04:40

Immediately before any player would recieve priority (which includes after any spell or ability resolves, like your Gideon's Lawkeeper), the game checks for any State-Based Actions. These basically look for creatures/planeswalkers going to the graveyard, players loosing the game, and tokens ceasing to exist. Any applicable SBA's are done all at once and do not use the stack.

When Gideon's Lawkeeper enters the battlefield, SBA's are checked and show that the Lawkeeper is at 0 toughness (because of Heartless Summonging), and is sent to the graveyard.
Posted 12 March 2012 at 05:01

damn... i was thinking about heartlesslitch + grimgrin
Posted 13 March 2012 at 00:41