Discussion Forum

Tap to Attack, or Attack and Tap?

I was just wondering, seen as my main deck (http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=318727) relies a good bit on Copperhorn Scout's effect, Do monsters Tap to Attack, or Attack and Tap

The reason being, if they Tap to Attack, precedence wise, they Tap, Blockers are Declared and THEN they Attack (and deal damage)
This would mean that Copperhorn Scout would then untap all other creatures, even attacking ones, as they would already be tapped when Copperhorn attacks, rather than tapping AS Copperhorn attacked.

I normally play as if Tapping and Attacking happen simultaneously, just to save bother, but it would be nice to get effective Vigilance out of it.
Posted 04 April 2012 at 17:41

Creatures tap when you announce then as attackers at the beginning of the Declare Attackers Step. Once you declare Copperhorn Scout as an attacker, it's ability will trigger and will go on the stack. Once the ability resolves, all your tapped creatures, attacking or otherwise (besides the scout of course) will untap.
Posted 04 April 2012 at 18:44

[QUOTE=efinmiller]Creatures tap when you announce then as attackers at the beginning of the Declare Attackers Step. Once you declare Copperhorn Scout as an attacker, it's ability will trigger and will go on the stack. Once the ability resolves, all your tapped creatures, attacking or otherwise (besides the scout of course) will untap.[/QUOTE]

Perfect
Thanks for the help
Posted 04 April 2012 at 19:03

[QUOTE=efinmiller]Creatures tap when you announce then as attackers at the beginning of the Declare Attackers Step. Once you declare Copperhorn Scout as an attacker, it's ability will trigger and will go on the stack. Once the ability resolves, all your tapped creatures, attacking or otherwise (besides the scout of course) will untap.[/QUOTE]

For clarification, does the card's ability resolve at the end of the combat phase, or right after the card is tapped to attack? If it resolves at the end of the combat phase, then the bonus does seem to mimic Vigilance. If it resolves after the card has been tapped to attack, then all of the cards tapped to attack will be, subsequently, untapped while going into the battle. Thus some cards would be able to use some of their [T] abilities during the fight.

That makes for one heck of an advantage if that is the case.
Posted 27 April 2012 at 01:53

[QUOTE=Zatt]For clarification, does the card's ability resolve at the end of the combat phase, or right after the card is tapped to attack? If it resolves at the end of the combat phase, then the bonus does seem to mimic Vigilance. If it resolves after the card has been tapped to attack, then all of the cards tapped to attack will be, subsequently, untapped while going into the battle. Thus some cards would be able to use some of their [T] abilities during the fight.

That makes for one heck of an advantage if that is the case.[/QUOTE]

Copperhorn Scout's ability goes on the stack and (presumably) resolves during the Declare Attackers step. It's a triggered ability, so it will go on the stack and wait to resolve just like any other spell or ability.

It can be a really big advantage, the only catch is you have to protect the 1/1 elf from removal, not to mention a blocker.
Posted 27 April 2012 at 02:26

I see, but once the ability is on the stack, it's independent from the source and will resolve unless the ability itself is countered, am I correct on that, or am I just reading the rule incorrectly? (Comprehensive Rules: 112.7a)

I'm simply trying to learn, here. I've only been playing about a month and am trying to understand some of the intricacies of the game.
Posted 27 April 2012 at 07:29

That's correct, Zatt. Once the ability is triggered, then killing the scout won't stop the ability from resolving.

I was just pointing out that a 1/1 creature is pretty easy to kill. So if your opponent doesn't kill it before it can attack (Gut Shot, Doom Blade), then they will probably assign it a blocker that will finish it off so you would only get the one shot w/ it.
Posted 27 April 2012 at 09:22

Thank you! That makes sense. (Gut Shot is awesome.)
Posted 27 April 2012 at 17:20