Discussion Forum

mono-green trample deck (green sun, dungrove, baloth, stampede) SUGGESTIONS?

4/24/12 EDIT:

hello, i've revised my deck some:

please check it out here on deckbox and lmk if you guys have any comments. thanks!

http://deckbox.org/sets/157314

greetings,

i picked Magic back up recently with a group of friends. i made myself a mono-green deck & could use some suggestions? (thanks in advance!) here is the current deck-list:

CREATURE:

1 x birds of paradise
3 x llanowar elf
1 x wall of tanglecord
4 x unyaro bees
4 x leatherback baloth
4 x dungrove elders
4 x obstinate baloth
1 x khalni hydra
1 x primordial hydra

INSTANT:

4 x avoid fate
1 x moment's peace

SORCERY:

4 x overwhelming stampede
4 x green sun's zenith

ENCHANTMENT:

1 x asceticism
4 x overgrowth (enchant land)

ARTIFACT:

3 x sword of vengeance

MANA:

22 x forest

TOTAL: 66 cards

any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Posted 13 April 2012 at 04:55

any one? :o
Posted 14 April 2012 at 06:41

It looksl like it could be a good deck, it's always hard for me to tell without hearing/seeing how the deck actually plays out.

The main thing that makes me uneasy is the low amount of land, and ramp in the deck. Most of the mono-green decks I see have about 24 lands in addition to a set of Llanowar Elves (or Birds of Paradise or what-have-you) and some sort of ramp spell. And that's in a 60 card deck.

With Dungrove Elders in your deck, you might do better having a few more lands anyway and using Cultivate instead of Overgrowth for your ramp. That way you have a better chance of having a bigger Elder while avoiding all the Enchantment hate that's out there.
Posted 14 April 2012 at 08:04

thanks for the reply bro!

the deck relies on starting with llanowar elf or birds then getting out a leatherback on turn 2. typically i just keep building up my creatures and attack hard with a o.stampede. the bees are fun to pump up for flying damage (good for attacking & blocking).

as of today, i've added another llanowar (now 4x) and took out two obstinate baloths along with my wall of tanglecord.

im considering utilizing rampaging baloths and primeval titans.

i havent had much of a mana problem yet, so im not worried too much about ramping? i will have to sideboard some rampant growths and see how it plays out however...

[QUOTE=efinmiller]It looksl like it could be a good deck, it's always hard for me to tell without hearing/seeing how the deck actually plays out.

The main thing that makes me uneasy is the low amount of land, and ramp in the deck. Most of the mono-green decks I see have about 24 lands in addition to a set of Llanowar Elves (or Birds of Paradise or what-have-you) and some sort of ramp spell. And that's in a 60 card deck.

With Dungrove Elders in your deck, you might do better having a few more lands anyway and using Cultivate instead of Overgrowth for your ramp. That way you have a better chance of having a bigger Elder while avoiding all the Enchantment hate that's out there.[/QUOTE]
Posted 17 April 2012 at 04:12

Primeaval Titans can only help your deck, especially considering the Elders and the Primordial Hydra you already have. And personally, I prefer the Raging Baloths to the Obstinates, though I might suggest sideboarding the Obstinates incase of a control deck (as you may have already been thinking).

Regardless, I think you have a cool deck here and I hope it continues to do well for you :)

Here's a deck I have been playing that has a similar goal, let me know what you think.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=308268
Posted 17 April 2012 at 06:06

a quick sugestion is to run 4 dryad arbor you can green suns for 0 on turn 1 and get 2 lands into play.
Posted 17 April 2012 at 23:04

hello, i've revised my deck some:

please check it out here on deckbox and lmk if you guys have any comments. thanks!

http://deckbox.org/sets/157314
Posted 25 April 2012 at 03:25