Discussion Forum

How does MTGVault work

Hi

I used to be registered as Setherial, I rejoined recently and since I've lost access to my old email account and we were forced to re-register I now have a different accout as Seth.

I never really understood how we are supposed to use MTGVault. I used to reply to decks in the newest decks list but once those decks are off that list you loose any means of finding them again. The search engine is worthless as you need either the exact nickname of a member or his exact deck name.
Neither are things I remember for long. What I do remember are cards used and comments I made.
I remember helping out a guy called James (James Savage I think) with his wild Nacatl and Juniper Order Ranger builds. After I made some suggestions to his deck we started mailing eachother talking about deckbuilding, it was fun. Now that I've lost access to my email account I have no way to get in touch with him again.
If I could use this sites search engine to find his decks I could find him again but I just don't understand why the search doesn't offer more usefull searching options, like deck color, cards used, names of people who commented, maybe even comment full text search.

Am I missing anything? What use is a site with thousands of decks if you can't find what you are looking for?

cheers

Seth
Posted 01 December 2009 at 08:56

In the new release of the site, we will be updating searching functionality on the site. I especially want a Card In Deck search option, as it'll help when looking for ideas on deck building.

We will also be incorporating a friend style system, so you can become friends of people and see their updates etc. This will help you keep track of updates/new decks/comments. I agree that in the current system, it sucks :)

On a side note, PM me your new email address and I can add that to your old account, so you'll at least have all your old decks etc back. I can find out what decks you commented on as well and let you know, if you want?

Cheers
Posted 01 December 2009 at 09:22

The new friends system and activity stream will hopefully fix a lot of the lost decks, friends and comments issues that people are having, you'll feel a lot more connected to what you and your friends have done and are doing on vault and although basic at first will hopefully evolve and become all you need to keep track of everything and anything you want.

Current deck search... sucks, I agree.

Please keep in mind we only do this as a side project, we can only work on vault when we have time. We certainly don't make any money (if anything we're losing money) from the sites which means it can only be a side project and unfortunately this makes progress slower than we'd like.
Posted 01 December 2009 at 10:26

[QUOTE=Gary]Please keep in mind we only do this as a side project, we can only work on vault when we have time. We certainly don't make any money (if anything we're losing money) from the sites which means it can only be a side project and unfortunately this makes progress slower than we'd like.[/QUOTE]

Of course. My post was never meant as an attack on the work you guys put in. I think the site is pretty unique and it appealed to me right away when I first joined. I'm a software engineer myself and I'm very much aware that writing and maintaining a forum is not a trivial thing. I certainly respect a project like this.

cheers

Seth
Posted 01 December 2009 at 10:48