Discussion Forum

Deck Challenge: Venser Abuse

So, I recently acquired four copies of Venser, and since blue/white is one of my favorite combos anyway, I thought I'd see what kind of mean tricks I can perform with him. So how about it? Any decks out there that abuse Venser's ability to make your opponents suffer?

Edit: Some thoughts I had. It might be worth making this a UWB deck. He'd make a good tool for triggering landfall, so, maybe some kind of landfall deck?
Posted 17 April 2012 at 17:09

heres one of my decks that i use venser in you can also add more vensers and proberbly take out genesis wave as you may kill the vensers
venser's ability works great with halimar excavator and buffing up allies even more

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=320682
Posted 19 April 2012 at 09:55

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=326174 this has more vensers with a frost titan combo
Posted 23 April 2012 at 01:00

One of the things I love about Venser is his first [+2] ability. You can use it on anything, including Venser himself, that you don't want your opponent to beat down during his/her turn. Then, as the opponent's turn is ending, the permanent comes back under your control.

This little trick makes Venser literally untouchable as he can exile himself and come back into the game at the beginning of your opponent's (the "next") end step. Each time, he gets +2 loyalty tokens. A couple of turns of that and you can get his emblem, which is a game winner.
Posted 25 April 2012 at 01:13

[QUOTE=Zatt]
This little trick makes Venser literally untouchable as he can exile himself and come back into the game at the beginning of your opponent's (the "next") end step. Each time, he gets +2 loyalty tokens. A couple of turns of that and you can get his emblem, which is a game winner.[/QUOTE]

first of all, the next end step after you use his ability is your own. he returns to play during your turn, not your opponent's.

secondly, when a planeswalker enters play, he gets loyalty counters equal to what's printed on his card. So if you use his +2 on himself, he just re-enters with 3...you have effectively accomplished nothing at all.
Posted 25 April 2012 at 02:57

Ah ha! I completely misunderstood "next" end step. In reading the comprehensive rules, the "next end step" is the one at the end of the turn that he would have exiled himself on. I'm learning.

Now, that brings me to a clarifying question:

According to the way your reply is worded, it looks like when a card comes out of exile, it returns to its original (read "beginning") state. If that's the case, then any abilities that trigger when the card is put onto the battlefield are triggered again, as if the card was being placed for the first time. Is that correct?

That would open up a ba-zillion interesting combos and possibilities, if that is the case.
Posted 25 April 2012 at 05:50

Yes. Many of the new cards, like Cloudshift, which exile a creature only to have it come back into play immediately, are often used to simply re-trigger an enters-the-battlefield ability. This type of play/mechanic is usually referred to as 'blinking'
Posted 25 April 2012 at 13:28

Thank you Seras, you rock.
Posted 27 April 2012 at 01:31