Discussion Forum

equip vs illusions/shroud

so, I have heard that if you use an equiment on an illusion, it triggers its ability, and you have to sac it, but I also have heard other people say that it doesn't because it is not an ability of the card, os it isn't actually tageting anything. You are simply attatching it. again, same thing for shroud. It does not target the creature, you are just attatching it. Which one is correct? I am really confused.
Posted 25 April 2012 at 20:13

the equip ability does in fact target the creature.

so no equiping illusions or creatures with shrouds.
Posted 25 April 2012 at 20:19

k, that is what I thought. Bt I just wanted to double check, because I have heard people aying otherwise, and evern playing FNM, or local tourneys with equiped illusions.
Thanks. :)
Posted 25 April 2012 at 20:22

Though Seras is correct, I would like to point out that there are ways to equip creatures that don't target (example: Kor Outfitter). These would disregard abilities like shroud, and an illusion's self-sacrifice ability.
Posted 25 April 2012 at 20:32

True, they would not be targeted by the equiment, but doesn't the outfitter still target them?
Posted 25 April 2012 at 20:34

Oops, bad example.

Kor Outfitter does target both the equipment and the creature.

Um...here, this guys is a better example

Stonehewer Giant

Good catch, thanks :)
Posted 25 April 2012 at 20:56

attaching and equiping are different things.

there are NO ways to equip without targeting, as equip is a keyword whose text explicitly states 'target'.
Posted 25 April 2012 at 21:28