Discussion Forum

Modern Red/Black Burn

Hey, I'm looking for ideas for a modern red/black burn deck. any help would be appreciated
thanks
Posted 27 April 2012 at 03:22

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=305690 (BR)

Here's mine. Take a look, may give you some ideas!
Posted 27 April 2012 at 07:17

why do you play 4xRed Sun's Zenith? There must be better spells.

turn 1 RSZ does 0 damage
turn 2 RSZ does 1 damage for 2 mana
turn 3 RSZ does 2 damage for 3 mana, a 3cc Shock
turn 4 RSZ does 3 damage for 4 mana, a 4cc Lightning bolt
trun 5 RSZ does 4 damage for 5 mana, there are multiple 4 damage spells for 3 mana.

basically you don't want to play it before turn 6 so why would you want 4 copies?
I never understood players playing fireballs in 1 on 1 decks. They are only good in multiplayer or simular long game formats or in limited where any kind of burn is usually good.
Posted 27 April 2012 at 14:03

Well I had a debate with myself over this too. It's mainly because they're re-useable and with the amount of reanimation these days the exile factor is invaluable. Also as they double in damage with Anthem of Rakdos. The idea was to use them early and exile cheap pesty creatures, before Hellbent is enforced, then reshuffle them (in that respect in the early game they're better than wasting a Lightning Bolt on a 1-toughness creature). Then when the anthem is in play it's gonna have to be turn 5 at least so you can have enough lands to fuel a decent burn. Plus if you have no creature targets you can burn the player and then re-use it again later, so it's not wasted when Pyromancer's Swath takes effect.
Anyway the deck is a work in progress really so there's always room for tweaking. What would you suggest?
I was thinking maybe something like Gut Shot, Geistflame or Lava Spike. I was also toying with the idea of a couple of Damnations.
Posted 27 April 2012 at 21:08

i noticed that you didnt have very many creatures, i have found this to be a bit of a weakness sometimes but that just might be me.
here is the deck i just made, i think it needs a lot of tweaking
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=328216
Posted 27 April 2012 at 21:20

As it's a burn deck, it really needs as many instants and sorcerys as possible, and sadly there's not much room left for creatures! Besides, coupled with mass removal and the discard effect from Pyromancers Swath the only creatures I can have are those with the ability to return from the grave of their own accord. Plus I have Lavaclaw Reaches and Koth to provide a creature to attack with when I need one.
Posted 27 April 2012 at 21:29

i find it is ok to have minimal creatures in a deck but you have got to find a way to keep your and stocked up with more kill spells because you will run out fairly quick
Posted 29 April 2012 at 08:45