Discussion Forum

Deck Challenge: Rising Hell (Demons)

Ok...

We have angels everywhere, and I'm feeling like I love demons more and more because of it. So here is the challenge with multiple options:

1. Create a deck with a Demon theme, leaning towards Demons, or at the very least a few demon mythics (Must contain some legendary Demons bonus for Griselbrand)
*I really hate restricting with one card type, it doesn't have to be all demons as long as you have a few legendary Demon creatures in it. I don't want to slow you guy's creativity.*

2. No banned cards.

3. Try to make it at least modern (Bonus for standard as I'll liked to play the winning deck for FNM).

4. Tournament Quality or close to it.

5. It can be any colors, although I feel mono is too easily countered, I'll acept them as well.

6. Choose one or more the following supplement strategies:
a. Use the new mechanic of boosting 1 creature out in play.
b. Use the Flicker mechanic.
c. Use the soulbond mechanic.
d. Graveyard or sacing play.

You may add any other strats/combos to the deck as you like, but I'd like to see one of the three mentioned (especially interested in the solo creature mechanic.

Good luck guys! I hope you enjoy this challenge. I will announce the cut off time after I see how much response I get.

Cheers,
Seij
Posted 07 May 2012 at 18:43

Hi!!!

I know there are no legendary demons in it, but I wanted to make it standard and I didn't want to make a Griselbrand deck...sooooooooo...here it is:

Deck link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=334298

Edit: May post back with a Demon ramp deck sometime in the future.
Posted 09 May 2012 at 00:18

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=251112

There's my Demon tribe. I've had it for a while, but with A.R., I've obviously been able to improve it greatly. I'm not 100% sure it's Modern legal, but I think it should be. :D
Posted 09 May 2012 at 01:36

=( Bitterblossom is banned in modern if it is modern. I was just looking at the list and noticed it.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrmodern

That deck looks sweet. I'd like to give it a go. Have you ever killed yourself playing it lol? Question on the morbid combo. Can that creature even though it's going to die be sac'd before the fact to keep a demon in play?
Posted 09 May 2012 at 02:26

Oh, well if I wanted to use it in Modern I'd probably swap out Bitterblossum for that :manab::manab: demon with Undying.

I have yet to kill myself with the deck, though I have come close. It's a Demon tribal deck, so it's fitting that it makes you suffer too =]
Posted 09 May 2012 at 07:30

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=336394

My group likes to play block. So this one is all Innistrad. And please feel free to leave a comment on it as well.
Posted 13 May 2012 at 16:54

Ok to pick a winner,

I'm going with surewhynot's deck.

Yeah he comes up with a lot of awesome ideas all the time. I'm picking this deck based on the fact that I love negative effects. Sacing, morbid, etc.

Well played Sir....Well played. Another challenge to come soon...
Posted 18 May 2012 at 05:40

i made a red and black demon deck...it was the bomb if played right but ended up being to slow to play...Rakdos the defiler and Malfegor were among my mythic demons...it just took to much mana and was to slow..it was all demons and destory card..
Posted 18 May 2012 at 22:15

Isn't that always the case with many themes? It seems you either have to get things going by turn 3-4 or you get behind. So dependent on things to go certain ways. To be honest, I hate to be forced to play certain colors for control or mana ramp or other attributes. I really love black and everything that goes with it. I just wish that the power of decks didn't go in and out in standard format due to new releases. I don't necessarily mean having a new card be so powerful or anything. I just wish a new release would support all the different types or play/themes. Obviously Angels are big with the new release and humans, but I want demons, demonic creatures, evil (and lots of it).

I hate ranting about it. Just some thoughts. Link you deck. I'd like to check it out. I'm not one to follow the current meta. I like to play what I like. It just needs to be strong enough to compete with the current meta, not necessarily dominate it or be dominated by it.
Posted 18 May 2012 at 22:35

[QUOTE=Seij]Isn't that always the case with many themes? It seems you either have to get things going by turn 3-4 or you get behind.[/QUOTE]

This is so true. Lots of themes are unplayable because of this. Fortunately, Black has plenty of control for you to use. You can include Red as well for added control without sacrificing the theme. Here's my rough sketch of what I'm talking about.

Almost Demon Tribal
Posted 19 May 2012 at 11:56