Discussion Forum

Saffi

A friend of mine posted a "rule" but i can't find this information on the actual rules, is it true?

[QUOTE]Q: Will the creature I target keep coming back over and over?

A: Not unless you can keep bringing Saffi back over and over, too. When an object changes zones, it loses all memory of and relation to its previous existence. One exception is a zone-change trigger like Saffi's; it will be able to find the creature when it moves to the graveyard. However, when it comes back to the battlefield, it will again be a new object, and while it's the same piece of cardboard, the game recognizes it as a new creature, not the one that just hit the graveyard, and it will no longer have Saffi's ability protecting it.

Q: Can I target Saffi with her own ability and have her return herself over and over?

A: You can target Saffi with her own ability, but it won't bring her back. When activating an ability, much like casting a spell, you choose targets before paying costs, so you'll be able to target Saffi before you sacrifice her for the cost. However, when the ability resolves, it will be countered upon resolution for lack of a legal target, since Saffi will already be in the graveyard.[QUOTE]
Posted 09 May 2012 at 08:46

[quote]400.7. An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous existence.

400.7d Abilities that trigger when an object moves from one zone to another (for example, “When Rancor is put into a graveyard from the battlefield”) can find the new object that it became in the zone it moved to when the ability triggered, if that zone is a public zone.

601.2. To cast a spell is to take it from where it is (usually the hand), put it on the stack, and pay its costs, so that it will eventually resolve and have its effect. Casting a spell follows the steps listed below, in order...
601.2c The player announces his or her choice of an appropriate player, object, or zone for each target the spell requires.
601.2g The player pays the total cost in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can’t be paid.[/quote]

I believe these are the rules you are looking for. Hope this helped :)
Posted 09 May 2012 at 09:41

thank you very much
Posted 09 May 2012 at 11:56