Discussion Forum

Deck Challenge: Herald of War

The card Herald of War could be very good, To cast cards like the Akromas and avacyn, but its just too slow by itself.
So the deck to build should be built around to put many counters on the herald quickly.
The deck can be either modern, standard or legacy. There are no other restrictions, however reanimation with Defy death may be a good idea, even if its just a secondary strategy.
Good Luck and Have Fun
Posted 10 May 2012 at 16:27

So here is a basic standard Angel Deck using Herald of War. I only have one of them as I drew it in a draft. Once you put a spirit mantle on it, it should be fine.
Posted 11 May 2012 at 05:09

Two words.
Finest Hour

Yeah, not mono-white. But 2 attack phases means 2 counters.
Posted 11 May 2012 at 10:40

This is what I came up with. Let me know what you think.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=335877
Posted 11 May 2012 at 11:47

[QUOTE=Lahbiedahb]Two words.
Finest Hour

Yeah, not mono-white. But 2 attack phases means 2 counters.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty good idea. Maybe for standard legal decks: True Conviction . Still, True Conviction costs a lot to cast and by then, you can cast most Angels.

In modern, maybe Fireshrieker ?
Posted 11 May 2012 at 14:39

[QUOTE=MaskedMakrel] Maybe for standard legal decks: True Conviction . Still, True Conviction costs a lot to cast and by then, you can cast most Angels.

In modern, maybe Fireshrieker ?[/QUOTE]

The problem with those is that it isn't a different attack, just double strike. Herald's ability wouldn't activate a second time.

Edit: Also, did you check out the deck?
Posted 11 May 2012 at 14:46

Hi there again
Sorry but i couldn't log on for a day, but i checked both decks
Masked Makrel's Angel Deck: I asked for a deck that mainly focuses on the Herald, not that just features one, and its not safe with the mantle. What if it gets removed or bounced?
Lahbiedahb's Finest Hour: I commented on it. And i never said that it has to be mono white. I never even said that it has to be white! :D
I still look forward to addittional ideas, decks and solutions
Posted 11 May 2012 at 16:58

[QUOTE=Lahbiedahb]The problem with those is that it isn't a different attack, just double strike. Herald's ability wouldn't activate a second time.

Edit: Also, did you check out the deck?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification on that.

Also, I checked out the deck and it has some other really interesting cards too- like Angelic Benediction. Thanks for sharing the ideas.
Posted 11 May 2012 at 17:45

[QUOTE=Horeeh]Hi there again
Sorry but i couldn't log on for a day, but i checked both decks
Masked Makrel's Angel Deck: I asked for a deck that mainly focuses on the Herald, not that just features one, and its not safe with the mantle. What if it gets removed or bounced?
Lahbiedahb's Finest Hour: I commented on it. And i never said that it has to be mono white. I never even said that it has to be white! :D
I still look forward to addittional ideas, decks and solutions[/QUOTE]

Well, Herald of War isn't exactly Rooftop Storm for Angels, so I'm not sure how much mileage you would get out of mult iples. I try to only build decks I actually have the cards for, so while ideally a second Herald of War might be justified, I probably wouldn't use more than two anyway. Bounce- just have to recast- destroyed, use an elixir, it's what I do anyway.
Posted 11 May 2012 at 17:48

[QUOTE=MaskedMakrel]Well, Herald of War isn't exactly Rooftop Storm for Angels, so I'm not sure how much mileage you would get out of mult iples. I try to only build decks I actually have the cards for, so while ideally a second Herald of War might be justified, I probably wouldn't use more than two anyway. Bounce- just have to recast- destroyed, use an elixir, it's what I do anyway.[/QUOTE]

Not just for angels. Humans too. And the challenge was to build around it, but i am repeating myself. If it gets bounced it comes down without any counters, so you have to start over pumping the angel. And shuffleing it into your deck just makes it slower! It has to be a playable deck, that is fun to play, even if i will never play them. I once saw here a "deck" that had no lands in it, just 99 memnites. Bad, useless and even illegal, but the system automatically marks it as a deck.
Posted 11 May 2012 at 18:19

Still my first day, so I'm not sure if the updates on the decks card sections are sent as notifications or not. So I'll just reply here too.

I've never been a HUGE fan of dual lands. I do however enjoy early mana leads and chump blockers. lol

Defy Death - I'd worry about it if the Herald wasn't tied for the most expensive card in the deck. Even if he does get bounced or removed, After you're able to afford him once, you'll be able to get him out again.

If anything, I think it needs an expensive angel or 2 to make the herald feel needed.
Posted 11 May 2012 at 19:56

I agree with Lahbiedahb that the Herald ofWar needs expensive cmc angels to feel justified. I see Herald of War as a supportive card, for the most part, helping you cast other Angels at a low cost.

If the goal is just protect Herald of War while allowing it to attack, you could simply equip it with a Whispersilk Cloak. In Standard, it would be a bit harder as you would have to use Mask of Avacyn and then something like Spirit Mantle to achieve the same basic effect. That being said, the Herald could still be eliminated several ways.

As for counters, many of the effects which assist in proliferation would probably work with the angel as well. Contagion clasp in colorless and in blue Viral Drake, Inexorable Tide, Steady Progress, Fuel for the Cause, etc...

However, as dual lands in standard are too expensive, I'd probably just stick with my cheap standard deck. I could explore other formats, but Lahbiedahb is already digging into those.
Posted 11 May 2012 at 22:44

Here is my Herald of War deck http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=336116
I still need help reducing the deck down to 60 cards and need help with the side deck.
Posted 12 May 2012 at 05:14

Got rid of 2 of the Battlegrace Angels.
Replaced with Empyrial Archangels.
More expensive, justifying Herald, a bit.
Posted 12 May 2012 at 11:15

I suppose Elder Cathar might fit in as a human who could add a counter to Herald when Elder Cathar died. Also, Seraph Sanctuary would be a good land for an angel deck as well.
Posted 13 May 2012 at 05:04

[QUOTE=Horeeh]The card Herald of War could be very good, To cast cards like the Akromas and avacyn, but its just too slow by itself.
So the deck to build should be built around to put many counters on the herald quickly.
The deck can be either modern, standard or legacy. There are no other restrictions, however reanimation with Defy death may be a good idea, even if its just a secondary strategy.
Good Luck and Have Fun[/QUOTE]

Hearlad of war isnt a good investment because youre paying 5 for a 3/3 flyer and you have to wait a few turns for its effect to be useful.Try something else.
Posted 15 May 2012 at 19:17

x4 Somberwald Sage
x2 Deranged Outcast
x4 Timberland Guide
x4 Herald of War
x4 Silverblade Paladin
x3 Angel of Glory's Rise
x4 Defy Death
x1 Seance
x4 Faithless Looting
x2 Riders of Gavony
x1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
x1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
x4 Blessings of Nature
x12 plains
x6 forests
x4 mountains
(Obviously Dual lands are perferable, but that's up to you to figure out)
With the right kind of hand (and some luck) you're looking at a fourth turn Herald of War AND a Timberland Guide (playing them on the same turn) Your Angels from here on our cheap, and Glory's Rise keeps you chock full of humans. After 3 counters on Herald, if she hasn't already become your winfactor, just place on your humans (with the help of Riders) Another alternative, is to insert Mentors of the Meek, and throw in Champions (Both Parish and Lambholt) Anyways, Great card, and definitely something to look into! (PS: Increasing Savagery = Wandering Wolf OP)
Posted 26 May 2012 at 13:19

Oh, and Cathar's Crusade. Hot Damn.
Posted 26 May 2012 at 13:21