Discussion Forum

Active player

Sorry for being a noob but sometimes i think i know something, but someone says otherwise and i get confused...

When a player controls multiple effects that trigger at the same time the active player decides the order in wich they are resolved.

is this correct? this is what i had in mind.

por better porposes of explanation lets see the following "table"

1- it's the end of my opponent's turn and he has Sheoldred, Whispering One in play and i only have Reya Dawnbringer, he passes and forces me to sacrifice i get to choose wich one resolves first in this case Reya Dawnbringer so i can ressurect someone to sacrifice later, correct?

2 -imagine otherwise the same table but my opponnent also has oath of ghouls in play and i have Keldon Champion in play and then passes do i get to activate if i have more creatures in my graveyard than he, do i get to choose to put a creature in my hand, and then activate Sheoldred, Whispering One to sacrifice Keldon Champion, and then bring it back with Reya Dawnbringer???

Sorry for the long post but the examples are fictional and just for the sake of easing my mind...

Best regards
Posted 11 May 2012 at 21:08

First of all, a small nitpick. Sheoldred, Whispering One and Reya Dawnbringer both have triggered abilities (along with keyword abilites, but that's irrelevent to your question), and so they aren't activated, they trigger.

If a player has control of multiple triggers that need to go on the stack, then that player (whether active or non-active) gets to choose which order they go on the stack. The active player will put their triggers on first, followed by the non-active player. Since you control Reya, you control her triggered ability. Same with your opponent and Sheoldred.

At the beginning of your upkeep, abilities from both creatures trigger. Since you are the active player, you put Reya's ability on the stack first. This includes naming a target, if you don't have a creature card in your graveyard to target at this point, then Reya's ability won't do anything.

Then your opponent would put Sheoldred's ability on the stack, and (pending any responses or additional triggers) the abilities will begin to resolve. First you will sacrifice a creature, then if you had previously targeted a creature card in your graveyard, that creature will come into play.

I believe it's my turn to apologize for a long post, haha. Hope this helps :)
Posted 12 May 2012 at 05:04

So it means that if i am the active player the triggered habilities of permanents I control go first, could'nt i pass priotity so that in an odd case my opponent would go first to trigger any habilities he might had and then after that my own?...

Sorry for the odd question but all i have been playing is multiplayer EDH and sometimes we have so many triggered habilities and some would be better going firs then others eh eh.... it gets confusing, we always sort it out but i would prefer to be sure we are doing it correctly.
Posted 12 May 2012 at 05:29

If you are the active player, any triggered abilities you control must go on the stack first. The way I read the rule (which is posted below) is that when putting triggered abilities on the stack, no player actually has priority yet, so there would be nothing for you to pass. It's just the way the game works.

[quote]603.3b If multiple abilities have triggered since the last time a player received priority, each player, in APNAP order, puts triggered abilities he or she controls on the stack in any order he or she chooses. (See rule 101.4.) Then the game once again checks for and resolves state-based actions until none are performed, then abilities that triggered during this process go on the stack. This process repeats until no new state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the appropriate player gets priority.[/quote]

And just to note, rule 101.4 just explains APNAP order.
Posted 12 May 2012 at 06:09

[QUOTE=Portugaru]So it means that if i am the active player the triggered habilities of permanents I control go first, could'nt i pass priotity so that in an odd case my opponent would go first to trigger any habilities he might had and then after that my own?...
[/QUOTE]

No you can't. Both you and your opponent have several effects that trigger and have to be placed on the stack. You as active player must place your effects first in the order of your liking, then the next player places his and so on.
Priority can only be passed once the stack needs to be resolved and every time an effect on the stack needs to trigger priority is passed so everyone gest a chance to respond and this again in order of active player first then non active player.

sheoldred's sacrifice effect would resolve first and you need to sacrifice reya unless you can counter the effect (stifle) or bring a creature in play in response to the sacrifice ability resolving. Lets say you sacrifice Reya, after you her ability triggers and you basically get her back if you want. So it's actually not that bad for you.
Posted 12 May 2012 at 08:16

[QUOTE=Seth]Lets say you sacrifice Reya, after you her ability triggers and you basically get her back if you want. So it's actually not that bad for you.[/QUOTE]

I might be misreading, so correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that Reya can bring herself back w/ her own ability? This can't be done because when you are asked to pick a target for Reya's ability, Reya isn't yet in the graveyard, and so isn't a legal target. If there were two Reya's, one on the battlefield and one in the graveyard, then the Reya on the battlefield could target the Reya in the graveyard. But I was under the impression there was only ever one Reya in the examples that the OP gave.
Posted 12 May 2012 at 08:27

yes thats correct, my mistake.
Posted 12 May 2012 at 11:50

thanx people now i am fully clarified..

Best regards
Posted 12 May 2012 at 12:49