Discussion Forum

Casual madness deck

I have tried to build a green and red madness (, flashback and token) deck. My only problem is that I haven't played that many green decks, so I don't know if it's fast enough, it goldfish most of the time on turn seven even if mulligan down to three cards, but it does ~20-30 damage the last turn.
Against a red burn it should survive until at least turn 4 (using the worst case scenario Seth gave me in a previous thread).

I haven't got any creature removal, which makes me nervous (there are some interresting red madness cards which gives this, also lightning bolt), what, if anything, should I throw out to add this? And what should I add?
Also, it have no real defence against flying.

The win condition is to simply crush the opponent with large amount of semilarge tokens or large creatures.

Decklink:
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=328943
Posted 13 May 2012 at 13:57

Hey i took a look at your deck, as it was reminscent of my first deck i made 12 years ago, my first stab at a duel red/green deck at a time well... lets just say duel decks were a rarity then!

Being familiar with some old school cards, as well as being a big green player here are some thoughts for your deck.

Lighting Bolts/Blood Lusts - these could be nice additions for several reasons as they can be quite versatile with several of the cards you already have going. The Blood Lust at first look will be a quick boost to your creatures in early matches by giving them a power boost, and obviously the lighting bolts can be good for quick damage to your opponent or to take out smaller creatures. Taking a deeper look at these cards you can also use them in later rounds of play in unison with one another to take down larger creatures (cast blood lust on their creature to make it smaller then bolt it), this could be an effective way to not only deal with pesky fliers but any large creature for that matter! These spells coupled with your duel castings, you may be able to get a two for one bonus! (BTW wasn't aware of that duel casting card, think im gonna need to get one or two for my decks!)

Kird Ape - Here's an old favorite from my original R/G deck. It's short mana for one red, but if you have forests in play its a 2/3 creature. Not sure how effective it would be now a days, but i know it helped me in early rounds. perhaps replace your basking rooterwater with these? Reason i say this you get this creature out for short mana and then instead of using mana to boost your rooterwater kird ape is already bigger and this mana could then be used to get some of your bigger wurms out.

Flyers - These i find are always the bane of my green decks existances! Some things i have found useful to deal with these. Thornweald archer and Ezuri's archers i have found work well at the bottom part of the mana curve. Tornado Elementals can help take down large groups of flyers in late games, but for some real surprise you can always try the instant Whiteout!

Hope this helps

- J Dudes
Posted 24 May 2012 at 16:16