Discussion Forum

How......

Do you get people to look at your decks, make comments and even maybe like your decks. This system seems to be a little flawed. It seems like buddies just keep "like" decks so they can get on top.
Posted 23 May 2012 at 07:48

Yeah I don't get it either, I pretty much stoped using the vault altogether. I think the origenal idea was to have a place to store your decks and you can share them with people by giving them the public link. For that it works.

It's useless however if you want random people to see your deck and give comments to it. But then again you're not missing much. The average comment on the vault looks like this

"cool, can you comment to my deck too"

not really usefull. It's a system for kids.

If you want a serious deck discussion use a forum. This forum could do but there are not many people actually responding to posts, most people just post and go away.
If you want an active community it starts with you though. Make an effort to be involved with the forum and respond to as many posts as you can.
Posted 23 May 2012 at 09:28

Thanks Seth for getting back to me. I do understand, and I'll see if i can find a forum that i like that I can join. Move everything from the vault to that forum.

Always thought magic was a game for all, not just kids. A system needs to be built for magic not for a kids to use as a sandbox.

I joined the vault and a couple other sites to share my decks with others, To show ideas that are outside of the box. As part of one reply stated "Great build here, holy crap, you have opened my mind."

I guess when this site was built it prolly had good intentions, but somewhere, somehow the owner/creator just lost interest in the project. It could of been so much more.

Thanks again Seth.
Posted 23 May 2012 at 17:21

For rules questions this forum is quite good I think, there are a few people here that know the rules very well and I haven't seen any questions go unanswered in the time I've been here. I've actually learned a lot myself from being active on this forum.

Getting good feedback on a deck is tricky though. For tournament decks there are stites like The Source that are really good but deal only with tournament magic and not casual play.

If it's Modern/EDH/Legacy build and you post it here I'm always willing to give feedback.
Posted 24 May 2012 at 07:11

In response to the comments scenario, the flaw in the system is that unless you get those first few likes and ping onto the "Upcoming" page, you're lost in the black hole. When your deck goes off the "New Decks", you're lost in the black hole.

We're hoping to fix a lot of these issues when we release the new website (design and system). Something as simple as proper deck tags, which mean the data can be cut several ways, will make deck discovery easier and more useful.

HTH
Posted 24 May 2012 at 08:28

Sorry to hear you feel this way guys, obviously it was never my intention for vault to turn out like this, infact, I never really intended it to have any "social" elements at all.

As Seth mentioned, the initial concept was literally for this to be a place to store your decks for future use (say you needed the cards elsewhere but wanted to remember your deck). I then opened this up so you could share your decks around to friends or on other forums etc. The site then grew in a BIG way and I decided to open up features like deck searching, deck commenting and of course, the dreaded "like" system which, lets be honest, has been a total disaster since day 1.

I could say the biggest problem lies in the users, all anybody wants is comments or recognition for their own decks and ideas but in most cases are never willing to give anything back in return. Unfortunately the site isn't filled with people that want to look at people's decks and critique them all day. In order to rectify this we could quite simply turn deck likes and the most popular (homepage) off and switch the site back to being what it used to be BUT, before we do that, I wanted one last crack at solving the problem, and that's where v3 comes in. We're working very hard to find a solution to "reward" people for giving back, in the hope that this may help to get things moving in the right direction. I'd say we're looking at launching v3 sometime in the next month or two. I hope you would be willing to come back and give us another go then?
Posted 24 May 2012 at 08:50

I mostly build edh decks and enjoy doing that. I do not build conventional decks by no means, at least i don't think i do. I want to have people look at my decks and say "holy crap" you just gave me a idea, or "omg i can expand on that". To get people to expand their minds to think outside the box, to think in 4 dimensions.

I have sat people down and showed them step by step how i build decks, and they are amazed. I have had judges ask to look through my decks.

I am looking for a place, not for congrats or recognition. I want people to learn, that their are different ways to build decks besides net decking.

Thanks Seth, Ian and Gary for your replys. Seth your more than welcome to look through my decks anytime and give feedback.
Posted 24 May 2012 at 09:29

Thanks for sticking with us. Based on your deck building abilities and your replies in here, you'll be a great asset to the community! In return, I promise to deliver to the best of my ability! :)
Posted 24 May 2012 at 09:53

This is just my 2 cents, but one thing that would encourage me to comment more would be if there was a mouse-over option to view the cards, similar to the way the official Magic website is set up.

As someone who is not well-versed enough to know most of the cards based on the title, it would let me get an idea of how a deck works without clicking on each card which is time-consuming and rather discouraging when it comes to giving feedback.

Just one man's opinion.
Posted 25 May 2012 at 17:31

It'll be there. :)
Posted 27 May 2012 at 10:49