Discussion Forum

Cavern of Souls Ruling

Relevant link: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/196a

I have to admit that the new ruling on cavern seems a little iffy to me. I have always played and loved magic on the basis that it is a game about rules manipulation. That is, the most successeful players understand the rules best and know how to use cards and card rules to their favor. In this regard, I think it's important that a player be required to state that cavern is being used for it's ability.

Yes, it is implied from the opening declaration that any card of the chosen type would use cavern's second ability but, I feel that instead of rewarding a player who is ignorant of a card's specific requirments should not be rewarded with the benefit of the doubt.

I think holding every player to a higher standard would be more beneficial to the player. It may seem less fun at first but, as I'm sure you are aware, players miss "may" ability triggers all the time; it doesn't ruin the game for them. The first time a player misses a trigger, they will note it. After a few of these mistakes, it will never happen again(if they are a competent human being... whether this is a reasonable standard to hold people to is certainly questionable :P)
Posted 25 May 2012 at 20:28

If I understand correctly, you are talking about the assumption that you use the can't be countered ability whenever possible?
My opinion is that I totally agree with you, but I can understand that they are adding that rulleing so that it dosnt get tedious repeating that your creatures can't be countered every single time you cast one.
Posted 27 May 2012 at 12:34

Yes you read me correctly. I understand your point about the repetition but, again.. I think of the ability as a may ability. You are required to declare may abilities at each use. Think Jace's Erasure and blood seeker. Some opponents will do it reflexively but, they are not required to do so. And sometimes you may play a card of the chosen type in the hopes of drawing out counters to play another card later.

With the new rule, declaring that you aren't using that ability and instead making the card counterable.... it's just inviting them into your head. If the choice you have to declare is what would almost always be the wrong decision, then when you make that declaration you've tipped them off that you want it to be countered. Just one man's opinion but... I think it hurts the use of the card and for me, the beauty of the game *again, relevant to this one card*
Posted 27 May 2012 at 13:15

I can understand both sides of this debate to be honest. Personally i feel it's up to both players to make sure the state of the board is always clearly understandable.

In a mono-colored deck this is kind of moot. You only need the one color and the purpose of cavern of souls is purely to prevent your opponent from counterspelling your creatures. However in a multi colored deck, the player controlling cavern of souls should really be held accountable for stating what color they are tapping the cavern of souls for.

And lastly, i also understand that WotC is attempting to make the game easier for new players to understand. For awhile the learning curve was obscenely high. Not to those of us who've been playing for years on end, but brand new players. As such i guess i agree with this ruling of theirs. I would rather bend some rules for new players to get the hang of things that face a dying game a few years down the road.
Posted 20 June 2012 at 01:16

[QUOTE]And sometimes you may play a card of the chosen type in the hopes of drawing out counters to play another card later. [/QUOTE]

this changes my mind, you have an excellent point here. my position is now that they shouldnt have added the new ruleing, as it changes the game, and the new players will have to treet it as learning experiance. i am now fully behind you and see that my arguments dont justify the ruleing.
Posted 21 June 2012 at 00:35