Discussion Forum

Deck built around Primal Surge

Ok so I know the general concensus seems to be that Primal Surge is strictly worse than Genesis wave. However, given the right deck with the right all-permanents build, I think Primal could be killer.

So I'm thinking of building a blue-white-green deck, using Revised duals, some funky Avacyn whites, and Primal Surge. Here's what I've got so far.

Lands
4x Savannah
4x Tropical Island
4x Tundra
4x Sunpetal Grove
4x Hinterland Harbor
4x Glacial Fortress
7x Forrest
3x Plains

Artifacts
1x Sol Ring
1x Mana Vault

Green:
3x Primal Surge
2x Overrun
4x Druids' Repository
2x Concordant Crossroads
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Elvish Archdruid
4x Taunting Elf
4x Jagged-Scar Archers
4x Carnage Worm
4x Garruk's Horde
4x Heedless One

White:
4x Goldnight Commander
4x Cathars' Crusade
4x Grand Abolisher

Blue (to get Purge out):
4x Parallel Thoughts (organize the 3x primal surges, 2xOverruns, and 2x Counterspell in a separate draw pile so I can get Surge off and empty my deck for a Haste/Trample game-ender, assuming someone doesn't cast fog or something lol)
2x Counterspell (to stop counters to primal surge)

There are 20 elves here so if Primal goes off, each of the Heedless Ones will be attacking for 20/20 +/- depending on the first 5 or 6 turns' events till surge goes off, with trample even without Overrun. That's not counting Goldnight Commander and Cathar's Crusade. Then you have Garruk's Horde and Carnage Worm trampling too. When Purge goes off, ALL thes guys are gonna get +8/+8 from the white spells, along with trample and +3/+3 from overrun if I have it in-hand when I Purge.

I guess I could take white out and make it all Green/Blue to add more trample creatures and/or elves into the mix, but I like the idea of the white spells especially if I can resolve Grand Abolisher and have him out during the turn I cast Purge effectively blocking any and all Purge stopping spells/abilities. Even if Grand Abolisher isn't out, if I can get Purge off with a Counterspell to stop others from countering it, the Abolisher will come out anyway, preventing the opponents from using instants to nullify damage.

It isn't meant to be a tournament-winner obviously, as it's FAR too slow and takes minimum 5-6 turns without a PERFECT draw to get Purge out, but it might be fun in 3-4way games.

Could even take a Crossroads out since they aren't meant to be necessary until the Purge goes off, in which case they would be drawn and put into play anyway, so it would only take one Crossroads in the deck...

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? It's a work in progress and I've been out of MTG since the late 90's and only recently came back so there are a LOT of cards out there I don't know about. I know this deck has plenty of weaknesses, and there would be lots of ways to counter it.
Posted 01 June 2012 at 09:42

to post a comment.