Discussion Forum

Multiple Cards, Same Triggered Ability

According to the comprehensive rules, "An ability triggers only once each time its trigger event occurs" (603.2c). Does this mean that the ability triggers only once even if there are multiple cards with the ability? If I play one aura while two Kor Spiritdancer cards are on the battlefield, will I only get to draw one card? If I play one Shrieking Drake while two Equilibrium cards are on the battlefield, will I be limited to being able to return only one target creature to its owner's hand?

This is my first post, BTW. Hi.
Posted 03 June 2012 at 19:18

Hi Morana, welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, each ability will trigger when the proper event occurs. Even though the abilities do the same thing and look for the same event, they are still two different abilities. So you will draw a card for each Kor Spiritdancer, and you will be able to send a creature back to it's owner's hand for each Equilibrium on the battlefield (provided, ofcourse, you pay :mana1: for each Equilibrium)

Also, kudos for using card tags. Many experienced forum users don't even use them, but it makes things so much easier.
Posted 03 June 2012 at 20:20

elfinmiller, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your explanation, thank you for your welcome, and thank you for your kind words. ^_^
Posted 03 June 2012 at 21:42

Just out of curiosity...when you play a creature and Equillibrium is in play, can you pay the 1 cost multiple times to bounce multiple creatures or do you only pay one for each creature cost? This question comes up alot in casual play that is why I ask.
Posted 02 July 2012 at 07:19

[QUOTE=AROD0770]Just out of curiosity...when you play a creature and Equillibrium is in play, can you pay the 1 cost multiple times to bounce multiple creatures or do you only pay one for each creature cost? This question comes up alot in casual play that is why I ask.[/QUOTE]

You can only activate the ability once per creature you cast.
Posted 02 July 2012 at 18:20

[QUOTE=sethbodine]You can only activate the ability once per creature you cast.[/QUOTE]

This might sound trivial but you do not activate equilibrium, it's a triggered ability not an activated ability. The difference between the two is the reason you can only pay the cost once. An activated ability you can activate as many times as you like and are able to pay the activation cost (unless stated otherwise). A triggered ability has no activation cost and only triggeres in response to the occurance of a specific event in this case the playing of a creature spell. Because you play the creature only once the ability triggeres only once, the cost associated with the ability is much like the cost of a spell, paying it multiple times has no meaning, you pay the cost and the ability resolves, you don't pay the cost and the ability is lost but there is only one ability on the stack you can pay for.
Posted 03 July 2012 at 07:03

[QUOTE=Seth]This might sound trivial but you do not activate equilibrium, it's a triggered ability not an activated ability. The difference between the two is the reason you can only pay the cost once. An activated ability you can activate as many times as you like and are able to pay the activation cost (unless stated otherwise). A triggered ability has no activation cost and only triggeres in response to the occurance of a specific event in this case the playing of a creature spell. Because you play the creature only once the ability triggeres only once, the cost associated with the ability is much like the cost of a spell, paying it multiple times has no meaning, you pay the cost and the ability resolves, you don't pay the cost and the ability is lost but there is only one ability on the stack you can pay for.[/QUOTE]

I don't find it trivial, and it is not something that I should have overlooked. I should pay more attention to what I am typing. Thanks for the correction.
Posted 03 July 2012 at 07:49