Discussion Forum

G/U Snake Deck

So my friend has run a deck she wants to build past me; you can find it here:

Two-color Snake Deck

My biggest concern about this deck is the mana curve. If it were my deck I would want to put in at least a few more cards with a combined mana cost of 1 or 2. I would also put in a few cards of higher mana cost to make sure I had something to work with in case I did not draw Alpha Status as soon as I would like. Perhaps a couple of Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro?

Another concern is how to deal with massive/indestructible creatures. Maybe Turn to Frog, which would also help with the mana curve. Mind you, my friend will mostly be playing me, and I do not have any indestructible cards myself, so I do not see this as a priority.

I also foresaw a problem that would generally apply to snake decks: What would you do about flying creatures? I had suggested Invert the Skies as a way (probably not the best way) to deal with this. But with two flying creatures in this particular deck, I would not even consider going that route.

I would love to hear any thoughts you might have on this.
Posted 04 June 2012 at 23:50

So I took a look at "your friend's deck" and had some ideas i could share with you. First, instead of Serchi Daughter of Seshero, i would go with high tide. I like your thoughts with serchi in that it will give you a mana boost but for four CC its a bit steep to get that boost for the only other four snake shaman in the deck. As far as the toughness boost, as far as im concerned, its not going to give much added benefit to helping your friend achieve a win condition.

I like ovinize better than turn to frog as i believe its the same casting cost but this will make it 0/1 and it looses all abilities (great for protection cards, which turn to frog won't deal with)

As far as "what to do with dealing with flying creatures". This makes me laugh a bit because my friend always asks me, "well what should i do with my deck to deal with this or that" in this case its flying creatures. If the deck is well enough constructed, it shouldn't need to worry about what to do about a particular situation because it's own theme will instead put your opponent on the defensive. Someone at the last tournament i played at put it more elequently by saying " don't worry about what your going to do to your opponents deck to deal with this or that, focus more on how your deck mechanics work and let them worry about how they are going to deal with your deck threats." With that said, you could add counters to the deck as you are playing blue and this will not only deal with flyers, but just about any other threat "your friends deck may not be able to handle" or if you don't want to take this advice you could always play cards like web, or enchantments that give your creatures reach or to really catch your opponents off guard. something like whiteout would work as well.

Some final thoughts about this deck. I noticed its a snake deck but i didn't notice a single snake that gives poison counters! Have you looked at cards like pit viper or things of this sort?

Also if your friend wants to make the investment, with this being a multicolor deck i could also suggest some duellands and fetchlands as well but that maybe out of the budget.

Hope this helps you and/or your friend! =P
Posted 05 June 2012 at 01:29

I find it odd that you didn't include a Mystic Snake or two to your deck to be able to help protect you from a lot of threats.
Posted 05 June 2012 at 01:37

Thank you for the great suggestions, jdudes. My friend is going to include Ovinize.

[QUOTE=jdudes]Some final thoughts about this deck. I noticed its a snake deck but i didn't notice a single snake that gives poison counters! Have you looked at cards like pit viper or things of this sort?[/QUOTE]

I had not. Did you mean Marsh Viper? That looks nasty. It is probably to my benefit that my friend is uninterested in poison counters right now. ^_^

[QUOTE=jdudes]Also if your friend wants to make the investment, with this being a multicolor deck i could also suggest some duellands and fetchlands as well but that maybe out of the budget.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had suggested that my friend build a snake deck, precisely because she is building on a budget. But if you have any suggestions that are under $15.00 or so, I might be willing to buy them for her birthday or what have you.

Anyway, thank you for all the suggestions.
Posted 05 June 2012 at 04:19

[QUOTE=vxicepickxv]I find it odd that you didn't include a Mystic Snake or two to your deck to be able to help protect you from a lot of threats.[/QUOTE]

You are right. Mystic Snake does not belong in the sideboard. Thank you for the very helpful suggestion.
Posted 05 June 2012 at 04:21

you are correct, it was marsh viper.... old age must be getting the best of me!!
Posted 06 June 2012 at 15:32

btw question for you, how did/do you imbed the card pic/links in your written forum text?
Posted 06 June 2012 at 15:33

[quote=jdudes]old age must be getting the best of me!![/quote]

I am not getting any younger myself. Maybe we should start playing with Fountain of Youth in our decks.

[quote=jdudes]btw question for you, how did/do you imbed the card pic/links in your written forum text?[/quote]

In the editor I click on the first of the two icons that looks like the back of a Magic card. I hope this helps. ^_^
Posted 06 June 2012 at 18:12