Discussion Forum

Elf deck in progress

This is a deck I've been working on for a while. Trying to fine tune it, eliminating unnecessary combos.

Some of my goals were trying to fill it with effective quick cards that get me mana quickly. Eventually playing either a Nissa, Voice of the woods, or vamping up a jagged-scar archer to go in for the kill! Taunting elf is my main card to help me obtain this goal, either taunting elf, or having too many elves for them to handle!

I would love some suggestions if you have ideas that you think could work or have worked for you in the past. Thanks!

deck link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=340513

Creatures
4x Llanowar Elves
2x Elvish Champion
3x Taunting Elf
2x Wirewood Herald
2x Elvish Harbinger
2x Imperious Perfect
2x Jagged-Scar Archers
2x Nissa's Chosen
2x Copperhorn Scout
3x Ezuri, Renegade Leader
3x Ezuri's Archers
4x Timberwatch Elf
2x Voice of the Woods
2x Wellwisher
2x Elvish Archdruid
Land
20x Forest
Planeswalkers
1x Nissa Revane
Spells
2x Naturalize
Posted 13 June 2012 at 00:25

So i took a look at your deck and had some ideas:

1) Take out the Elvish Champions and either add two more archdruids, imperious perfect, or joraga warcallers. The forestwalk ability only helps if your opponent is green and either of these two guys with their +1/+1 kicker boost or mana will help more than the forestwalk

2) Take out the lanawar elves, if you have archruids in their, (or perhaps priestess of titania i believe they are called) you won't need lanawars for mana.

3) Take wirewood herald out and elvish harbringer and replace with skyshroud poachers, its ability is way better as the elves will go right into play!!

4) Elvish Vanguards might work better than the jagged scar archers you are currently using

5) Take out the nissa's chosen, nissa's rivane abillity to gain +1 loyalty for gaining two life for each elf you have is way better than getting the chosen, and for 2CC there are alot of other things that could work better.

Hope this helped!!1

PS For more ideas you can check out my elf deck

North Pole Nite Shift! - Dude's 1st Path to Pain (B/G Tribal Weenie)
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=341460
Posted 13 June 2012 at 23:05

Hey thanks for the reply and suggestions. I took out nissa's chosen, wirewood herald. and elvish champion. DEFINITELY adding Skyshroud poacher, thanks for the suggestion! Also adding a couple more archdruids, and putting 4 naturalize in. I was thinking maybe instead of priest of titiana, Joraga treespeaker. Thanks for the suggestions!
Posted 13 June 2012 at 23:33

If you want to check out my deck you can. I made some more adjustments, I'm thinking about putting 2 Reclaim in there.
Posted 14 June 2012 at 01:26

You got a plus one from this guy tonight! Some additional comments, questions and suggestions for you. First is this any specific format? Looks legacy correct? If so for land you could look at Gaea's Cradle, its a bit costly for the wallet but well worth it with elf decks. Also Wirewood Lodges and/or Pendlehaven could help as well.

As far as spells, i don't feel that naturalize and reclaim belong in this type of deck, at best maybe on a sideboard. The space could be better suited for adding additional cards of what you already have going on or perhaps an artifact such as door of destinies which would work with your weenie build theme or perhaps cards to get you additional draws such as masked admirerer's and/or howling mine.... Food for thought.
Posted 14 June 2012 at 02:22

Creatures
2x Skyshroud Poacher
3x Elvish Vanguard
4x Imperious Perfect
2x Jagged-Scar Archers
4x Joraga Warcaller
2x Joraga Treespeaker
3x Copperhorn Scout
2x Ezuri, Renegade Leader
3x Timberwatch Elf
2x Wellwisher
4x Elvish Archdruid
2x Masked Admirerers
Land
17x Forest
1X Pendlehaven
1X Gaea's Cradle
1X Wirewood Lodge
Planeswalkers
1x Nissa Revane
Artifacts
2XDoor of Destinies
1X Howling Mine
Spells
3X Elvish Prominade
Posted 14 June 2012 at 02:35

I agree that reclaim doesn't work well, but I feel at least a couple naturalize are good just because if you get a curse or a strong enchantment is put out, you're a little helpless. Today I got milled by a blue/white deck that focused on enchantments so maybe it was a reaction to that! You are correct with legacy format. I was thinking, maybe I could take out naturalize/reclaim and replace it with viridian shaman, not the exact same, but helpful in that regard. I really like the door of destinies! Going to add that. Thanks for your suggestions, love the black/green deck, works nice (I returned the plus-one favor!)!
Posted 14 June 2012 at 02:36

I would put those types of cards on your sideboard, I have cards such as viridian zealot, tranquility, and glissa sunseeker on my sideboard just as you could do the same with naturalize to use if you determine your opponent is playing an artifact/enchantment combo heavy deck. As you pointed out in your last thread, you don't want to overreact because of a bad match and change the whole dynamic of your main deck when you may not always encounter that same scenario. To give you additional access to your sideboard you could take the additional step of adding a living wish or two in the main deck so if you don't actually side these cards in you should still have access to them on the fly once the game starts (or if they exile your cards and choose not to use your sideboard, it could be used in that regard as well). After alot of thought on my sideboard and lots of revisions, I have actually divided my sideboard up to deal with 5 specific scenarios/deck types and designated three cards to each scenario. For example Tormads Crypt is in their to deal with reanimator, whereas the cards above are in their to deal with artifact/enchantment heavy decks, while sadistic sacrament helps me dismantle combo decks. Finally I designated a few cards to my sideboard to be specifically against blue color opponents as I have found just about everybody in Legacy (except for me!) plays with some form of blue in their deck.

If you want to check out the most recent addition of my elf deck, it should have a better visualization of what the sideboard might look like:

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=341460

Hope this helped brotha!
Posted 25 June 2012 at 14:28

I playtested combo elves for the last 3 hours against my usual testing buddy, what a rush, the deck is pretty difficult to play with the insane amount of triggers to keep track off and to see all the outs but man this might very well be one of the best decks in legacy if piloted well. Aside from 2 Gaea's Cradle some fetch and 2 savannah the deck is pretty cheap. I think it's about 300$ which isn't much for a legacy Tier 1 deck.

tested about 10 games against Show and Tell: about 50-50, it's an ok matchup and both decks can race eachother. I sided in 4 Ensnaring Bridge and 1 Gaddock Teeg and he sided in 2 echoing thruth.

tested against Esper Blade: I won most of the games. I even won through 2 perish, 1 force of will and 2 swords to plowshares. It was insane. I hade totally depleted my hand and still I won.
I also won through umezawa's Jitte.

Combo elves with Mirror Entity is crazy, you can win on turn 2 and even trough tons of hate you can still win. I just found my new deck!!

I played this list
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=47237
with some changes like my own custom sideboard and +1 Chord of Calling -1 Quirion Ranger in the main
Posted 26 June 2012 at 22:19

[QUOTE=Seth]I playtested combo elves for the last 3 hours against my usual testing buddy, what a rush, the deck is pretty difficult to play with the insane amount of triggers to keep track off and to see all the outs but man this might very well be one of the best decks in legacy if piloted well. [/QUOTE]

Lol its funny you said this, because sometimes when I'm playing with one of my buddies late at night I'll forget about a +1/+1 trigger and then need to correct myself and it aggravates the bajesus out of him! In any event he decided to play the deck one day! Same problem, its crazy that each time in a well built one, everything boosts on itself. I was also taking a look at that deck you referenced to the other day, i like some of the stuff in there (ie wirewood symbiote, which will replace my seeker of the skybreaks; elvish visonary which will replace my door of destinies, and green sun zeniths which well I'll make space for!) and will be adding them to mine soon as well, however there are things I feel that deck could do without. With the black overlay in my deck I feel I have access to better stuff especially for my sideboard, and as far as i saw with any of those G/W starcity decks, almost none of them use any white cards.
Posted 27 June 2012 at 01:28

- The triggers are problematic during atournament because you end up taking turns that take 10 minutes to work out which is boring for your opponent and if that bothers you and you get nervous or your concentration drops after a few rounds you start forgetting triggers. Each time you do your opponent can call a judge or even if he doesn't and a judge sees you forget mandatory triggers you get a warning. In a deck like this this can pile up to game losses.

The Nettle Sentinel trigger: it's not mandatory so if you forget you screw yourself but it's not an illegal play. The untap happens when you play a green spell, that means if you don't untap before the spell resolves your opponent can point out that it's to late to untap. Even a misunderstanding (which happens a lot over here in belgium because people at these events speak different languages (german, dutch, french...) and we all communicate the best we can) giving the impression the spell has resolved can lead to a warning from the judge and you not being allowed to untap the sentinels.

The Glimpse of Nature trigger: these are mandatory and each time you forget to draw it's concidered cheating and you'll get a warning and eventually a gameloss. And believe me if you have 20 elves in play turn 3 and 4 sentinels untap each time you play an elf and you need to time the drawing of these cards correctly you do slip up now and again. Playing the deck at a tournament is going to be a real test for me. I'm going to play it though. I'm totally convinced it's the deck to play.

The :manaw: in GW elves: It's mostly because of Mirror Entity, mirror entity in this deck is the tits. It alows you to go infinate with 1xNettle Sentinel+1xWirewood Symbiote+1xHeritage Druid and since two of those cards are already the engine of the deck you get to this combo fast and if not mirror entity is your overrun. I won many games just attacking with 5 or 6 5/5 elves on turn 3.
Aside form Mirror entity you do want white for Gaddock Teeg if you are holding him and can't Zenith for him. Thalia is another reason to play white because how good she is against storm decks. But Thalia can be replaced by Thorn of Amethyst so it's not a must.

One of the reasons I think elves is going to be the deck to beat is because of the new Master of the Pearl Trident. Yet another merfolk Lord, they have what, 6 different lords to choose from now. And this one is a copy of the best lord out there, Lord of Atlantis giving every merfolk islandwalk. That's 8 lords that give islandwalk in the deck. I don't think I want to be playing islands when this card comes out. You are going to see A LOT of merfolk decks soon.
Posted 27 June 2012 at 07:10

You know its funny you say that because i really enjoy playing my tribal elves and was going through my blue cards and noticed quite a bit of merfolk especially lords to boost them as well. Are there any good merfolk decks you would suggest to mirror after now, or at the very least do you have a top ten list of merfolk you would use in such a deck?
Posted 27 June 2012 at 21:33

Something I did with my elf deck for a while (Since you already have Nissa Revane in there) is combine her with Eldrazi Monument. Not exactly reliable, but a fun little addition when you get it to work.
Posted 28 June 2012 at 03:39

[QUOTE=orvas]Something I did with my elf deck for a while (Since you already have Nissa Revane in there) is combine her with Eldrazi Monument. Not exactly reliable, but a fun little addition when you get it to work.[/QUOTE]

I had eldrazi monument in there, but I was finding by the time I could have it out, typically my opponent was dead!
Posted 01 July 2012 at 15:46