Discussion Forum

Mixing EDH with Casual Multiplayer

I'm just wondering if anybody else plays their EDH deck in casual multiplayer games (versus non-EDH decks). If so, does your group allow you to play with your commander in the command zone? Or shuffled into your deck?

I ask because I've been thinking heavily on this. Having introduced my group to EDH, we're starting to see more EDH decks being played in casual games. However, some decks are build around the commander and require them to be present to function, while other decks use the commander as support and do not need them to be present to function. I could see where not playing with your commander would utterly neuter a deck, while in other cases utterly break it...

So, what has been your experience? Is it fair to allow EDH deck to play by EDH rules in casual multiplayer? Or do you think its best to play EDH decks as just really big singleton decks with regular multiplayer rules?

EDIT: How do you like my new sig? :D
Posted 19 June 2012 at 14:26

lots of poeple in our group use EDH decks in normal multiplayer games and unless we all play an EDH deck we just shuffle our commander in and play without commander rules. Works great. That said it will obviously not work if you build an EDH deck that doesn't function without it's commander.
Posted 22 June 2012 at 13:01