Discussion Forum

EDH Question

My wife wants to run Druidic Satchel in her Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer deck; could she or could she not run the card?

I've been playing according to the assumption that if a card would generate a token of a color not shared by the deck's commander, that card cannot be played. After rereading the rules for what contributes to a card's color identity, I'm beginning to change my mind; a card's color identity is defined only by its colors, the colored mana symbols that appear in its rules text, and any basic land types included in the card's type. Generating a colored token is does not fulfill any of these criteria, so it would seem that it would not affect the card's color identity.. right?

I'm pretty sure I've answered my own question, but I wanted to check with players more rules-savvy than I before I present an argument to my gaming group.
Posted 20 June 2012 at 02:16

Yes, she could run Druidic Satchel in her deck. There is no mana symbol (:manaw::manau::manab::manag::manar:) that is on the Satchel that isn't on Jor Kadeen (colorless doesn't count), so yes it can be included :)
Posted 21 June 2012 at 23:01

As Racky mentioned, the rule checks for mana symbols, not written colors. So cards like Farseek can be legal in any deck with a green commander despite referencing different colored lands, but something like Memnarch MUST have a blue colored commander, as it contains :manau: in one of the activated abilities.
Posted 08 July 2012 at 23:21